Skimmer over flowing with foam plz help

You need to get an RO/DI unit for the water you'll be using to top off the evaporation and the fresh SW you will be making for water changes.

+1 on The Prime. I used it with a skimmer until I got my RO/DI unit with no problems from extra foaming.

How deep of water is the skimmer in?

Do you know how deep it is suppose to be?

If you are running too deep it can cause it to overflow quickly.

Ultimately I will get a RODI unit of some kind, but for now I need to get it set up with what I have. I'm going to Pull the skimmer out tonight and start from scratch with the skimmer. Maybe give it the once over and see if I missed something when I cleaned it.

I'll keep everyone posted. Thank you for the tips.

I just looked and API makes a stress coat for marine applications that will not foam. Damn, I feel like an idiot. Never even thought about that.

Overflowing skimmer -

Overflowing skimmer -

Did you check for clogging on the inlet vent on top of the skimmer yet?
(Mine is located by the valve that adjusts water level in skimmer.)

I saw it mentioned in a blog that this can cause that issue.
And I know, (from experimenting) if I cover mine with my finger tip..bubbles IMMEDIATELY rise up & overflow the skimmer cone.

They recommended RO water through the vent to rinse out possible "salt creep" clogging it. My city water would be fine for this circumstance.
(You can do this process with the skimmer off /externally.)

Just take a hose that fits that vent and insert a bottle tip (similar to a restaurant table condiment bottle) into it and try flushing it
...perhaps???.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for their help and advice. It appears it was the 'conditioner' my husband used to take the chlorine out of the tap water. We use the same stuff in our fresh water tanks and just didn't think about the ramifications if we used it in a salt water tank.:eek2:

He drained the entire tank and bought new conditioner that stated that it will not cause extra foaming and we started the process of filling the tank again. After filling the tank and turning on the skimmer there was no foam at first and now there is what appears to be normal foaming, not over flowing.

Once again a huge THANK YOU to all of you that gave advice, it really helped. We are definitely glad we found this forum. We will, I'm sure, be back when new issues and questions arise.

Have a great weekend,
Jen & Justin

Back