Skimmer over flowing with foam plz help

PAKramer

Hey everyone. I am looking for a little help so that I can help my husband out.

We have several fresh water tanks and decided to expand into the salt water world. We recently obtained a 56 gallon tank from a close friend and it came with a Reef Octopus LX2000s skimmer. We set the tank up, crushed coral, 'live rock' from the previous owner (we are trying to see if anything is still living in/on it), power heads, heater, and salt water. We had our tap water tested and it is useable and we mixed it with the salt in a large food grade trash can and pumped it into the tank.

Ok enough back story, here is the issue. We plugged in the skimmer tonight and the 'collection cup' fills with foam to the point that it comes out the top. We have moved the water inlet adjuster to all different positions and tried regulating the air intake at the hose. We also, my idea, turned the skimmer on till the foam came out the top, turned it off let it settle and then back on again, to see if it would help. It didn't and eventually the water collecting in the cup with the foam filled half the cup.

My husband has been searching the internet all night and is extremely frustrated. :headwalls: He called our friend and described how we have it set up and he says it is correct and doesn't understand what's going on. I have found the user's (useless) guide for it online and it appears it it set up right. The hubby even called the company and hasn't heard back from them.

Does anyone have any ideas out there that could help us? We are such noobs to the salt water world and would love for any seasoned veterans out there to guide us.

Thank you for your time and I apologize for my long windedness,
Jen

I had the same problem with my lx1000s. I tried several days in a row with heavy foam and water coming out the top. It took about a week (break-in period) before it settled down and started skimming properly. You've got a really good skimmer... good luck with your tank.

I had the same problem with my lx1000s. I tried several days in a row with heavy foam and water coming out the top. It took about a week (break-in period) before it settled down and started skimming properly. You've got a really good skimmer... good luck with your tank.

How did you prevent the foam from coming out the top during the break in period or did you just do like I was doing, turn it on turn it off?

Thanks for the input. Glad to know we aren't alone.

Jen

I just medicated my tank and my skimmer is doing the same thing. Foaming and overflowing like crazy. Was working fine till I put the Meds in. But it says on the directions to turn the skimmer off while medicating as this will produce excess foam. Now that I am done medicating it is foaming out the top and filling with water. But I have an overflow tube running from the collection cup. Hopefully will get back to normal soon. Good luck

How did you prevent the foam from coming out the top during the break in period or did you just do like I was doing, turn it on turn it off?

Jen[/QUOTE]

Mine has a hose that runs out the collection cup about 3/4 the way up so it doesn't overflow the cup. Good luck with yours. Carbon can be bought from any local Fish Store < LFS

Thanks for the input. Glad to know we aren't alone.

Jen

I would turn it on and mess with it until it started foaming and then Id shut it off. I tried a few times per day and it got a little better every day. You'll be skimming the heck out of the tank by next week.

Can you raise the entire Skimmer itself? I have to have mine on a base otherwise it foams like shaken soda. I know you said you can't raise the collection cup anymore.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I would just run a line from the drain on the collection cup to a bucket & let if run a while.

The reason it's foaming like that is because you have alot of nutrients in the tank. It's going to continue to do it until it removes all of it. I had that problem when adding medication to take care of red slime. Since you'll used tap water it's pulling all of that out. Either just keep emptying the cup because no matter if you turn it off for 2 weeks it's still going to be nutrients in the water. Only way to stop it is to do a water change, 20-30%. Trust me, I just went thru this the past 2 weeks. I did 15% water change, still was doing it then did another 15% and it stopped.

Some of the medications and additives will cause it to overflow. It happened to me when i was first setting my tank up. Someone at the LFS gave me a medication that was suppose to help with the slime coating of the fish. I left the skimmer off until the frequent water changes diluted it enough to stop the foaming

The only thing I did to the water was use stress coat in it to dechlorinate it. Im just at a loose as to what I'm suppose to do.

The only thing I did to the water was use stress coat in it to dechlorinate it. Im just at a loose as to what I'm suppose to do.

Stress coat will make a skimmer go crazy (found that out the hard way too). I wouldnt use it for a marine tank that uses a skimmer. I didnt know that you used that product in my earlier posts... do some small (10/15%) water changes over the next couple of weeks to help remove the stress coat. Once you get most of it out the skimmer should start working properly.

just info:
Adding Magnesium sometimes will foam it, so will the "Aquastiks" and other 2 part epoxies used to hold frags and whutnot....

Stress coat will make a skimmer go crazy (found that out the hard way too). I wouldnt use it for a marine tank that uses a skimmer. I didnt know that you used that product in my earlier posts... do some small (10/15%) water changes over the next couple of weeks to help remove the stress coat. Once you get most of it out the skimmer should start working properly.

What should I use to dechlorinate?

Back