Skimmer problem Bubble Magus 3.5 Cone

ReefKnot

I have a Bubble Magus 3.5 Cone and I am just getting it started up for the first time. Its in my sump, there is 12" of water, but I have it on a 3" platform. It is supposed to run in 8"-10" of water, so I figure I'm alright. But the problem is that it is creating an obscene amount of microbubbles, but when I try to close the outflow pipe, it floods the collection cup with water. It is in a very new system. The only thing I can see about it is that the air tube coming from the pump up out of the water is just wide open. When I stick my thumb on it, the bubbles go away, but so does the foamy water in the skimmer.

Should I put a small air valve on that air tube? Anyone have some advice on what I can do to fix this? Thanks!

It needs to break in and to be fine tuned by tweaking the air with water flow. Both my SWC and Euro Reef has turn functions to control the air on the air tubes.

I dont have any way to control the air flow, its just an open tube.... But basically I just need to leave it and let it work out the bubbles on its own?

See if you can find a valve like this. It will help you :)

0607011413.jpg

You don't need a valve. You have a new tank and a new skimmer. It can take up to 3 weeks for a skimmer to break in enough to start producing skimmate. The best thing to do is to just let it keep running until it breaks in. You'll know when.

you don't need a valve. You have a new tank and a new skimmer. It can take up to 3 weeks for a skimmer to break in enough to start producing skimmate. The best thing to do is to just let it keep running until it breaks in. You'll know when.

+1

I dont have any way to control the air flow, its just an open tube.... But basically I just need to leave it and let it work out the bubbles on its own?
Just curious on what the status of your bubble problem is I have the same problem and just wondering what the break in period is?

Updates I have a bubble magus 3.5 as well with a bubble trap installed after skimmer. Still ALOT of micro bubbles and its been well over 3 weeks.

I have the 3.5 as well. Let it break in. It took mine about 2-3 weeks. Don't put a valve on the airline, there is no need for it. If you have no livestock it could take longer. You need to let a little scum build up first.

Back