skimmer pump issue

medic29

Premium Member
I have a Gen-X 2400 needle wheel pump on one of my skimmers. I purchased this as a replacement for one which seized. The pumps works great, but it only runs for less than 5 minutes, then turns off. The pump doesn't feel hot. When I pull the impeller the magnet is warm, but not hot and it slides out freely so the magnet doesn't appear to be swelling. I'm thinking about putting a thin layer of vaseline jelly on it to see if this helps. It will start up again later and run for about the same amount of time. Any ideas??

Rick I have 1 of the same pumps on a skimmer also Their is a spacer on the impeller shaft on the end in the motor It goes before the rubber plug on the shaft. If that spacer is not there the impeller goes in too far and drags on the housing. You might check that??
Dave

Dave, good call, I'll have to check that. Any idea how big that spacer is? Is it a thin one or thicker (1/16"). I don't remember seeing a spacer/washer there earlier when I had it apart. That would make sense though.

If I do end up having to go with another pump, suggestions? Sicce, bubble master, Sedra? The bubble master are pretty pricey right now.

Ya the tunze is a hydrofoamer, used in the I tech skimmers, the eheim 1103 is not a needlewheel but like a paddlewheel. New design, it makes my G3 skim like a monster

Rick I have 1 of the same pumps on a skimmer also Their is a spacer on the impeller shaft on the end in the motor It goes before the rubber plug on the shaft. If that spacer is not there the impeller goes in too far and drags on the housing. You might check that??
Dave

Well, it was a good thought. There was a small, thin spacer there, but I went a head and added a thicker one and tried it. It ran and I thought that was it, then it stopped probably less than 5 minutes. It seemed longer, but it probably wasn't, I was just excited because I thought I had fixed it. I tried adding an additional spacer and it stopped again.

I'm wondering if maybe it is the impeller, maybe the magnet is bad and just starting to swell when it gets warm and thus it stops.

Dave, I wish you were a bit closer, I'd give you the pump and have you play with it, maybe put your impeller in it to see if it does the same for you, and/or put my impeller in your pump to see what happens. I don't want to purchase another impeller only to find out the problem is the pump itself.

I have to look around because I think this pump was sent with a regular impeller in it initially, if I could find that impeller, I could just run the pump with that impeller to see if it continues to work or if it stops too. I think this would be a way to check the pump, right? It shouldn't matter whether I'm using a needle wheel impeller or a regualr impeller or am I wrong? Don't know at this point.

To be honest, for pumps in the lower price ranges, I tend just to replace the pump. If the pump has gotton hot from impeller issues, its not uncommon for the epoxy that waterproof the electrics to become compromised.

To be honest, for pumps in the lower price ranges, I tend just to replace the pump. If the pump has gotton hot from impeller issues, its not uncommon for the epoxy that waterproof the electrics to become compromised.

Yeah I agree, I'm just trying to figure out what is wrong with the pump, I don't remember it getting hot; not sure why it stops.

I'm most likely going to be looking at getting another pump. MOst of them I've looked at are well over $100 and closer to $200...just for the pump.

Did you consider the eheim from premium? It's on clearance. You could see it work if you stop by

Yeah, I wouldn't mind stopping by and checking it out. I didn't realize Premium still had it on clearance. I just got a package from Premium this morning.

Been moving things around in the sump, didn't see the xenia but It'll pop up.

My tank is a new setup too so I'm not set yet. What skimmer are you looking for a pump for? i think it's pretty important to match the size up. I know too much pump is just as bad as too little. These new pumps have a better mixture, higher percentage of air. The tunze I thought I read was almost fifty fifty air and water. The small eheim I've never found anyone else who uses them.

For now I've been using it on an older Euroreef; it was originally used as the pump for recirc Octopus skimmer. I have another skimmer I'm in the process of building and going to use the pump for testing this skimmer as well.

Do you know how much air your pump is pulling?

Not a clue. It is on a ASM g2 or g3 it's maybe a little strong for that size of body. I know it kills a sedra or genx because I've had a bunch of older Euros. It is the best skimmer I've ever had. Just way undersized as much as I feed

Euros may not be the most high tech skimmers out there- but they work and I put them on 90% of my client tanks. They are foolproof and I never get calls at night about issues.

Ya scott I agree, not putting down Euros, my asm is a Euro knockoff with a new pump. For the money I love it.
I do like some of the newer pumps better though
Rick that rock has two different zoanthids, a small polyped orange one and the other purple. It also has the blue small clavularia or polyps. Also 6-8 starts of pink pulsing xenia.

Rick that rock has two different zoanthids, a small polyped orange one and the other purple. It also has the blue small clavularia or polyps. Also 6-8 starts of pink pulsing xenia.

Cool, sounds great!!! Let me know what you want for it. :bounce2:

I am skimmerless and need no algae scrubber. Took my ETSS offline long ago. I don`t do sps in this tank though, just softies and anemones with a few LPS for good measure.

Back