Skimmer Question could use some help!

kkdoughboy

Hey everyone, ok here goes...I have a Bermuda protein skimmer. I think it is model 3C but I doubt that's important. This might be a dumb question but here goes. My collection cup has a screw fitting on the side of the unit and also one on the top of the unit. I currently have the fitting on the side connected to a drainage hose that fills a jug with excess waste water. The top fitting is screwed tight. When I have the unit setup this way I get very minimal waste water and bubbling in the cup. When I remove the top fitting completely I get a feel of decent air coming through the hole and a TON more bubbling and waste water coming from the unit. I guess my question is...Which way is better? I would think having the top fitting off and having the increased production of waste water means the unit is functioning much more efficiently? Any ideas or opinions are appreciate. Sorry for the all over the place explanation. ;)

That's a good one. I like thicker skimmate. I say try it both ways for a week. However, most skimmers vent the collection cup. You're creating a higher pressure environment by not venting, which makes the bubbles smaller, kind've like simulating living at a much lower atmosphere. Think the yeast bubbles in bread reacting different depending on altitude. Which one is better? I have no idea. My cup is vented, for what its worth.

Your drain hose is also a vent, as long as it isn't submerged. I would try loosening and tightening the top screw until you get the type of waste collection that you desire.

I thank you for your responses. I was thinking along the lines of your suggestions. It's funny I've had the tank running for more than two years and never played around with the screw on the top. This concern I have is of importance to me because my tank has forever suffered from high Nitrates and an elevated Phosphate level causing moderate algal growth but most importantly my inability to sucessfully maintain healthy coral specimens. My fish and inverts have always been very happy and healthy but I am unable to keep any type of SPS and my LPS corals all meet a very slow demise. I have no problems with Paly/Zoas however. I'm curious if the heavy wet skimming is gonna help out with this issue. Thanks Again, Chris

Back