Skimmer Questions (MSX, ATI, ER, Deltec)

Tswifty

I'm looking to purchase a skimmer for my 90 gallon reef tank I am setting up.

Looking to spend between $400-$600

First, any recommendations?

Second, Does anyone have experience with Marine Solutions MSX skimmers? This just hit my radar and am curious about performance.

Also, noise will be very important to me, I want a skimmer that will run as quiet as possible.

Space is also a big issue... Especially height... I only have 27" to work with under my stand. Skimmer could be used in-sump or out of sump (prefer in-sump).

There's so many to choose from.. I want to make sure I make the best possible choice within my price range for this setup.

Thanks!

I own the Asm g3and I love it I clean my skimmer cup about every five days In a 140 gallon with a 40 gallon sump
My friend has the Deltec ap902 and he loves it and swears by it but we both keep hearing about the bubble master.

IMO, Deltec and Euroreef are top of the line. I'm using a cheap RedSeas PrizmPro and works for me really good.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11970450#post11970450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Davidl919
I own the Asm g3and I love it I clean my skimmer cup about every five days In a 140 gallon with a 40 gallon sump
My friend has the Deltec ap902 and he loves it and swears by it but we both keep hearing about the bubble master.
My only worries with the ASM skimmers is all the mods it seems that you have to do to get them to work at their best. But the nice part is they are on the lower end for price... Right now I would like to try and find something that is as much plug n play as possible.

I'm looking at the ATI bubble masters right now, they just at the top of my price range... So I want to do some research and get as many opinions as possible before I make a purchase.

Here's what I'm looking at and the price range:

ATI Bubblemaster 200 ($599.00)
ATI Bubblemaster 250 ($839.00)

Deltec AP600 ($645.00)
Deltec APF600 ($885.00)

Marine Solutions MSX 200 ($349.99)
Marine Solutions MSX 250 ($499.99)

EuroReef RS180 ($438.00)

AquaC Ev-180 ($339.00)
AquaC EV-240 ($399.00)

ASM g3 ($279.95)
ASM g4 ($369.95)
ASM g4 plus ($389.95)

Euroreefs are pretty sweet.I have had a cs8-3 on my 90 for a year or so and love it.A little over kill but I picked it up used for $200.Look for a good used one and use the savings to upgrade something else.That is what I try and do.I end up with all high end equipment at a fraction of the cost.

yeah I have had a ER for about a hear the RC 180 with the ehiem 1262 pump think runs mint and the customer service through them for me was great when helping me set up my skimmer.

I've heard nothing but good things about ER, but I have heard they can be a little noisey...

How is your ER's on noise?

Also, what is the optimum water level for them to run in. Raising the skimmer in the sump is not an option due to limited space.

I have an ER, my second and very happy with it. Contact ER if you go that route and see about getting a blemished one for a lot cheaper. They still work perfect. The skimmers like Deltec, ATI, ect. its pretty hard to go wrong with any of them

I played the skimmer game for 2 years trying to find the right one. I started with the bottom of the line and worked my way up. First coralife. Then red sea. Then euroreef. Finally Deltec. I can tell you absolutely beyond the shadow of a doubt that it would have been a heck of a lot more economical, less frustrating and just plain smarter if I had just bought the Deltec first. With protein skimmers, I have found that you get what you pay for. Deltec skimmers are really incredible at pulling out crap. I highly suggest you save yourself money and headaches in the long run, by just biting the bullet and getting a Deltec. You won't regret it.
John

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11973835#post11973835 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by madmax7774
I played the skimmer game for 2 years trying to find the right one. I started with the bottom of the line and worked my way up. First coralife. Then red sea. Then euroreef. Finally Deltec. I can tell you absolutely beyond the shadow of a doubt that it would have been a heck of a lot more economical, less frustrating and just plain smarter if I had just bought the Deltec first. With protein skimmers, I have found that you get what you pay for. Deltec skimmers are really incredible at pulling out crap. I highly suggest you save yourself money and headaches in the long run, by just biting the bullet and getting a Deltec. You won't regret it.
John
That's what I'm thinking, I'm was bouncing between ATI and Deltec, until I heard about the MSX and figured I would start getting some opinions.

Yeah I've heard the 2 places where you definately get what you pay for is skimmers and lighting.

This is my opinion between deltec and ER I was going to go with the deltec then decided since they are using the similar design and same exact pump TO go with the cheaper of the 2 which was ER. The ER that i have uses the ehiem 1262. I think that this is one of the quietest pumps I have ever heard. after putting the skimmer on my tank I switched my return pump from a mag to ehiem just to quiet my system down. I am not sure about the water level for teh skimmer I use a Recirulating skimmer which is ran out side the sump and gets water directly from the drain of the main tank. I liked this design better cause all the water gets skimmed before going into the sump.

I've heard Eheim pumps are silent, and am considering doing the same thing as you and switching out my mag return pump for it.

I think as of now I'm settled on either a MSX, OCT, or ATI skimmer...

MSX 160 or 200
Reef Octopus Pro 250
ATI BM 200 or 250

Each one of these skimmers have been highly recommended and all seem to run virtually silent from user reviews and feedback I've gotten on RC.

Like I said, feel free to jump in on the discussion in the other thread, there's some good info there, as far as making decisions when sorting through the mass amount of skimmers available out there...

Thanks again!

I decided on the MSX 160 or 200 depending on how long the wait is for the 200.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Hey everybody has their opinion. I am sure that all those other skimmer makes that you have choose are great I just have never personally owned any so I can't speak for them. I am just giving you some insight on what I own. Good luck with your skimmer selection and I do recommend the ehiem for the return pump can't go wrong. I

Thanks I really appreciate everyone's posts... That was the point of the thread, because I really hadn't made up my mind and needed to get feedback from people who either owned or had experience with the different types of skimmers.

The eheim return pump is something I am definately looking at though.

Thanks again everyone!

Back