Skimmer Review: Warner Marine AS200E

gcarroll

A few weeks ago I was given a new Warner Marine AS200-E skimmer to try. Many of you know I just purchased a ATB Cone skimmer but need to get a smaller sump to use it. This was a perfect excuse to give this skimmer a try.

AS200-E = Advanced Sump w/ a 200 millimeter (8") diameter body w/ a Eheim pump option. I waited so long to give a full review because it had been a long time since I used a needlewheel skimmer. I was really unsure about dialing in the skimmer but I finally got it down and it is skimming great now.

23.5" tall
AS200Eheight.jpg

8" diameter
AS200Ediameter.jpg

Eheim 1262 Needlewheel
EheimNeedlewheel.jpg

6 hours into break-in
AS200E6hrskimmate.jpg

No turbulence in neck. Nice uniform bubbles.
AS200neckfoam.jpg

Video of the skimmer in action. It's a foam making machine!

More pics post tuning to come tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay :D
Here is the skimmer at various time increments since cleaning the cup.

30 hours
30hrsskimmate.jpg

58 hours
58hrsskimmate.jpg

58hrsfoam.jpg

80 hours
80hrsskimmate.jpg

90 hours (just a tad bit too long)
90hrsskimmate.jpg

What I liked:
Craftsmanship - Build quality is excellent. Not many skimmers on the market that have that quality of acrylic work. The glued seams were perfect. Almost look as if the pieces were not glued at all.
The Pump - The Eheim 1262 pump is a beast on this body size. Unfortunately, I did not have an airflow meter but it was definitely working up to the potential of the skimmer.
Bubble Diffuser Plate â€"œ does an excellent job in reducing turbulence keeping the bubbles rising toward the collection cup.
Performance â€"œ Does a great job of powering out detritus. The skimmer has enough airflow to power the detritus to the top of the foam column.

What I did not like (these criticisms were shared with Warner Marine and may be changed on future models):
Clear pvc attachment from skimmer body to gate valve: The fit was a tad loose and I personally feel the gate valve should be glued in place for this particular connection.
Submerged gate valve: I did not like to have to get my hand wet to make adjustments to the skimmer.
I wish it were bigger: There needs to be a 10" bodied skimmer to bridge the gap between this 8" skimmer and the 12" beast (this may be done in the future as well)! Performance would be awesome on a 10" bodied skimmer with a meshwheel Eheim 1262!:D

All in all I must say I enjoy the skimmer but I found it important to clean & empty the cup every 3 days on my system. I would feel very comfortable running this on a full blown SPS system up to 250 gallons. Keep in mind I say this being a person that loves to overskim. Of course I would be much more comfortable with the AS300E (12" body and dual Eheims unless there is a Laguna option :D) because of my love for large #s of anthias. Unfortunately I was unable too fit such beast in my current sump.

Very nice posts. This is the first skimmer that I have Ooo'ed over since purchasing my beckett several years ago. One question though....

I recently had to soak my gate valve in vinegar because after a couple years, the buildup on the small portion of the "gate" that was exposed to water prevented proper function. Would this not be a problem if you glued the gate valve to the skimmer (or am I not understanding your idea)?

Never thought of that. I ran my AquaC for 3 years and was neveer concerned about that. This skimmer is at least small enough to give the entire skimmer a vinegar bath. This should probably be done periodically (maybe one a year or two) to clean the bubble plate.

edit: on second though even if they were to use standard pvc the fit would be tighter without having to glue.

WOW very cool skimmer Jon. Nicely done Greg good info.
Pin-wheels are the best I think.
Thx,
D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12918173#post12918173 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gcarroll
I would feel very comfortable running this on a full blown SPS system up to 250 gallons. Keep in mind I say this being a person that loves to overskim.

That's a brave statement :D

Although looks like the WM is really cranking on your system! Looks great ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12918937#post12918937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lagger
That's a brave statement :D
When I say 250 gallon I am including tank sump and refugium. This is an up to rating. My tank is 225g w/ 40 gallon fuge and 50 gallon sump (30 gallons of water) = 295g. Although it seems to be doing well on my system, I would feel more comfortable with a larger skimmer. If I had a 120g display and setting it up for sps, this skimmer would get a serious look. If I had a 180g display, I would consider but rater have a 10" body version.

Great review Greg. I am still considering the AS-300 to replace my H&S, just don't know if I want to spend the extra money for the Eheims instead of the Sedras.

Greg how about a full tank shot of what that skimmer was working on? How do I know you werent using the skimmer to cure live rock ;) lol.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12919242#post12919242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gcarroll
When I say 250 gallon I am including tank sump and refugium. This is an up to rating. My tank is 225g w/ 40 gallon fuge and 50 gallon sump (30 gallons of water) = 295g. Although it seems to be doing well on my system, I would feel more comfortable with a larger skimmer. If I had a 120g display and setting it up for sps, this skimmer would get a serious look. If I had a 180g display, I would consider but rater have a 10" body version.

now why did you have to pick on a 120

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12919577#post12919577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pookstreet
Great review Greg. I am still considering the AS-300 to replace my H&S, just don't know if I want to spend the extra money for the Eheims instead of the Sedras.
Kenny at this time I would not spend the extra money on the Eheims. Unfortunately the Eheim option is approx $350 option. Jon is looking for a way to bring the price of that option down but we will have to see. Starting this shipment the Sedra 9000 that comes on those skimmers should produce Eheim like air #s. We will see if it is true as I have asked for one to try on this skimmer. I will have a air flow meter to measure the two.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12920105#post12920105 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chevegan
Here is my question, How much are they and where can i buy them?
The AS200 is approx $639. The Eheim option adds approx $350. That may change but we will have to be patient.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12920409#post12920409 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 818
Greg how about a full tank shot of what that skimmer was working on? How do I know you werent using the skimmer to cure live rock ;) lol.
Where is the love? Do I get no trust in this forum? Besides my pm box is empty so I don't want to post pics. :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12922029#post12922029 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Yinger
now why did you have to pick on a 120
Don't even start with me Ying! Let's not forget how at the click of a mouse I reduced you skimmer's air flow by 1/3. Besides, per your genius BK buddies, your skimmer should have wiped out your tank by now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12922440#post12922440 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gcarroll

Where is the love? Do I get no trust in this forum? Besides my pm box is empty so I don't want to post pics. :lol:

No! No love for you!

Next!

:lol:

skimmer.. skimmer... skimmer.
greg just hurry up with the ATB. i want you to compare the warner to something with a bubble plate. good to hear all of the great reviews so far.

bruce. both the warner marine and ATB, as well as BK and hmm ATI all have plates. gregs aqua c does not. its hmm a black box with some acrylic baffles and such and injected air instead of needwheel.

ying.. mammoth mammoth mammoth.=)

Back