skimming question

jpitts101

I see lots of people say that they are emptying the collection cup on their skimmer one and two times a week. Im on my second nice skimmer ( life reef ) and im getting about a collection cup every 3 weeks or so. Is this a problem?? I had a asm g-3 that did the same thing, that being the reason I went to the life reef. I have a 55 gallon sump with about a 25 gallon fuge that is packed with chaeto. Could the chaeto be doing the job for me, I do keep more than i've seen most people keep in my fuge at all times.? My tank is a 180 fully stocked with large corals and fish. All my params are great and everything is healthy, im just curious as if i should be getting more skimmate??? The skimmer is set up correctly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12977932#post12977932 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jcollins
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Im not trying fix it, im just curious if it is typical. I havent seen anyone say i empty my collection cup once a month. Its more like one or two times a week.

ditto. every system is different. you're correct that the cheato is doing it's job, and it may be that those who collect more are feeding the tank more, etc.

My Deltec fills in a week. My Coralife SS220 was sometimes 3 weeks but skimmed way dryer. They both do a good job just differently. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I have a pretty big bio load, and do feed too often. I have fine tuned the skimmer, its either too wet or 2 plus weeks to fill. im going to assume the chaeto is doing a good job. thanks for everyone's imput.

I dont have a filter sock. I guess my chaeto is takeing care of the junk in my tank. all my levels are great. I've tried 2 different skimmers with the same result. im just going to leave it alone. I know the skimmer works being i have cured live rock with it and it went nuts! I guess my tank is finally takeing care of its self a bit.

Back