skinny fish help

judin2117

I have a scooner blenny that usually just climbs the live rock and kinda glides down but never seems to be in a real hurry, always in the open. Today I come home and notice he is swimming up to the top of the tank and all around crazy like. His stomach looked dented in and looks like you can see a boney rib around him, is he really underfed or sick.

how old is your system? scooter blennies need a lot of copepods to survive. without a large refrugium for corepods to thrive and provide a good amount of food for your scooter,it is likely starving.

You could post this in the Fish Disease forum, and see if they can help there....

Will check out the other forum, and he has been fine in tank for over a year now system is almost 2 years old

It doesn't just matter on age of tank, but also matters on how large your system is and if you can sustain a pod population. Do you still see pods running around at all? It may be a good idea to get some pods to add to your tank.

I dont see pods very often, but never have, I watch him eat pellets that make it to the bottom so i figured he has been living off of those for a while. I should add that i have recently been cutting back on feeding trying to lower nitrates so that i could start adding some corals. I always watch to make sure he gets some food but i was thinking that with me cutting back he might not be getting enough. I just wasnt sure if skinny is a def sign of underfeeding or if he could be sick. I thought maybe sick because of how he started swimming so crazy all of the sudden. Can you typically get pods from your LFS.

Back