"Sleeping" Hippo?

dclaghorn

Anyone ever seen this? Just got a new young hippo, and he sleeps on his side... No, he's not dead, and when the lights are on or he's feeding, he's swimming all around. but, if he's bored, he heads off to the corner and just lays down on his side and "naps". Still the same, he's staying in QT for quite a while until I figure this behaviour out.

Thanks for your input,

dave

Very normal. Hippos are well known for this behavior. Mine does this when sleeping, hiding, or when visiting the cleaner shrimp!

I think I'm gonna name this one opossum. I walked in, it was swimming all around. I did a water change, and off to the corner it went and flopped down on its side and hardly moved...

:)

Both of mine do this, I know why they picked this fish to play Dorry in Finding Nemo. They will sick their heads in rocks, wedge themselves in stuff, and hide completely on their sides.

I've seen them do that too pretty neat for a tang. I haven't seen any other tangs display such a interesting behavior.

Well, moved the "sleeping hippo" into the display tank. Now that he's got "buddies" he swims all over the place, has a great personality, and eats on the stray hair algae. What a great fish.
:)

Back