Slime ID

bohlke

PBITAWA
Can anyone tell me what this is and if it is reef safe?

DSC03547-small.jpg

Link to larger pic here

Thanks

J

johnski

ectoplasm.......................

or some type of encrusting sponge

Squidly 1968

When you find out let me know. This appears to be the same thing I have growing. As it progresses, it takes on a tentacled / tendrilled appearance branching to other rocks.

Anyone else got a clue?

bohlke

PBITAWA
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8081166#post8081166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by johnski
ectoplasm.......................

or some type of encrusting sponge

:)

Well, this is great. If the ionization-rate is constant for all ectoplasmic entities, we can really bust some heads... in a spiritual sense of course.

Any idea what kind of sponge, it extends itself away from the rock and waves in the current, which made me think it was aiptasia.

bohlke

PBITAWA
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8081242#post8081242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Squidly 1968
When you find out let me know. This appears to be the same thing I have growing. As it progresses, it takes on a tentacled / tendrilled appearance branching to other rocks.

Anyone else got a clue?

Thats what its doing in my tank as well, how far does it spread?

bohlke

PBITAWA
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8081878#post8081878 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
My guess would be sponge as well. It doesn't get any light, does it?

It didnt get any light before, but now since I have moved the rocks around a bit it does get light.

melev

In Memoriam
No, not that I'm aware of. Most sponge grows in our tanks and seem to be limited in how large they get. Perhaps some fish will take a liking to it and reduce its mass.

The only risk to your reef is if/when you pull out the live rock for some reason and expose it to air. The sponge immediately starts to die off and when you put it back in the tank, it can cause an ammonia spike. So try to remember that if you reset your tank, and scrape off all the sponge you see - or put all the LR in a vat of saltwater to keep it submerged.

kmk2307

I think it is a sponge too. If it is a sponge then it is in the Class Demospongiae but there are like 20 orders and ~5k species in that taxon. I'm sure its harmless to you and your organisms.

Kevin