Snails/Diatoms Question

irisheyes

I have been having problems with Diatoms for about 2 months. I was using Ocean Pure Salt and have changed to Reef Crystals to try and get rid of them. They are mostly on the sand. What is the best Clean Up Critter for Diatoms. I have heard that Trochus Snails are good. Any opinions?

Thanks for any feedback!

Trochus snails burrow in the sand, but not on it. Astreas will do a good job for diatoms on the rocks. I hear your best bet for diatoms on the sand is a fighting conch.

I have never had a Fighting Conch or a Queen Conch. I have never had Diatoms before either. I will look into them.

Thanks for the reply.

would a diamond goby be any good for the sand? Im thinking a diamond goby for the sand then astreas for the rock? I have some diatoms on my sand as well and just got a diamond goby and he has been sifting alot of sand so far. I will try and remember to post how it works here for you.

Thank You. I will be waiting to hear. I don't really have a DSB though. I have from 1-3 inches. Do you have to have a DSB for a Diamond Goby?

I really don't care about the borrowing as much as something to clean the Diatoms off the sand. There must be something that does that. My Blue Leg Hermits do nothing!

no, as far as i know you dont need a dsb. Just enough sand for him to sift through. Ive only had him since today but he has adjusted quickly and seems very happy so far. He picked a rock in my clowns corner to dig and make his home under, the clowns werent to happy at first but now there ok with him. There area he has been in the sand is very clean and has been turned over several times, hopefully when he gets more comfortable in the tank he will clean the rest of the sand :D

Heres the quote of liveaquaria

.... It is a very timid fish that makes a great addition to the reef tank because of its longevity.

It should be housed in a 50 gallon or larger aquarium with live sand as the substrate, and an attached populated refugium. The Diamond Watchman Goby uses shallow burrows in the substrate as refuge, keeping the substrate well oxygenated. It rarely becomes aggressive towards other fish, but is territorial, and will fight with its own kind unless they are a mated pair.

The Diamond Watchman Goby feeds off the bottom as it sifts through the sand. Its diet should include a variety of live and frozen brine shrimp, mysid shrimp, live black worms, and prepared foods for carnivores. It should be fed frequently.

Thanks a lot, Kurt! I will call the LFS tomorrow and see if they have one. I think I better make my rock a bit more stable though. LOL

yes, make sure its resting on the bottom of the tank. I hope he works for you, it seems to be working for me so far. good luck!

well i would love to tell you hes doing great and everything but i think he found an opening in the back of my tank and jumped out. I have looked behind the tank and all in it and cant seem to find him :( I will be getting another one for sure though. The area he did get to before trying to fly looks good. Make sure you have your tank covered 100%. I only had a small opening in the back of my tank for my overflow, return and stuff. Anyways, hopefully hes playing hide and seek in the tank ;)

Hopefully you don't have a Carpet Surfer and he is just hiding. I hear they are shy. My tank isn't covered at all because of my lighting system. My LFS said they would have some in on Thursday, so that will give me a little time to get ready for him. I sure wish you luck in finding him. Please keep me informed.

Back