Snowflake Moray in with SPS ??

JackRent

I have a 58 gallon tank that I am converting to SPS. What are peoples thoughts on keeping my moray in the tank. Other than mechanical damage are there any concerns ???

other than him crawling over/ through the branches and breaking the corals, i cant see any big problems. if hes a messy eater, that could be a good thing.

i second the damage to the corals, theres one at my LFS and he likes nothing more than just sitting on the rock work all day long

There is always a trade off between more fish and good SPS colors. Eels are very messy eaters and eat a lot; I'd avoid it in a 58g tank. You could try a dwarf golden moray instead - not as interesting looking, but gets to a max. of 6-8". I've had one for ~ 6 months and it has eaten neither any of the tiny fish (acro goby, tiny barnacle blenny, small juvenile leopard wrasse) in my tank nor the cleaner shrimp.

I can control how much he eats of course. I was thinking that if I can get some very dense Acro growth, he would probably help the corals with his waste. He has been in the 40 gallon sump for 2 years so the system volume is mor like 90 gallon total. I have some large Monit caps going and they are doing great.

Also keep in mind that although larger specimens eat more at one time, they do not need to be fed frequently at all (1-2x per week is sufficient for older specimens).

Are there any other fish? Mine really only whipped around like crazy after other fish when i fed the tank. If it is solo i see it mainly sitting in a cave as there wont be anything to chase or defend territory against. Also, to mitigate the knocking over of corals...have a spot kind of open where you can train him to take it off of a stick.

with WC's and wet skimming i dont see it as being a nutrient problem...as long as you arent already stocked to the hilt

Of course ornamental crustaceans are meals.

I am actually loaded to the gills with fish. here is my list
1 mated pair Three spot damsels
6 Green Chromis
1 each Copperband Buitterfly
1 each very small Sailfin tang
1 each Arc Eye Hawk
1 each Clown Goby
1 each Algae Blenny
1 each Ocellaris Clown
2 each Cleaner Shrimp (they love the eel)

Sounds crowded but it has been this way for a long long time. Almost 2 years. So far since being in the display my eel has eaten right off the stick no problem.

Your pushin it. Blennies and gobies.....lunch(at least for my old snowflake...he was about 32" and quite aggressive. My damsel would put him in his place but even a trigger was scared. (This was a FO tank)

I would start a species tank if I were you.

BTW you got pics of your tank?

Why not. He could be a problem when feeding. Twice to 3 times a week would be fine. Train him so you can hand feed him. I had one for 6 year. (not in a SPS tank) They don’t see real well. So if they are chasing food around they can be erratic. They are mainly a crustacean eater (shrimp, kreal, prawns), but they will eat fish (goldfish, guppies if you feed it to them. Good luck!!

I put a very small one in my mixed reef a few weeks ago. He swims all over the tank daily until I feed him. I am a little concerned about the bio-load, due to him wanting food daily right now. Hopefully when he gets older, he won't want food as often? He does brush against corals and cause them to close their polyps for a time. He is too small yet to brake or knock over corals. We will see what happens when he gets older.

Any of you running 80x+ flow. I'd love to get one however I am concerned how he'd handle the flow not to mention the open top...

I have alot of flow. Flow is not a problem.

Open top is a problem. You must have a very secure and top. This eel is an escape artist.

RD..open top.....forget it....100% doomed. You cant even have an open top on your overflows they will find their way in there as well.

Back