snowflake

Kengaroo131

Fish Crazy
i picked up my snowflake eel the otherday and hes doing great. my question is do they ever stop hiding or do they hide all day i only really see a little bit of him at night.

They spend most of their time concealed, with usually only their head poking out. They are active at night or when being fed.

They will alway hide except at feeding time. I hardly ever see mine until I turn off the powerheads to feed and then he just appears with his body 3/4 hanging out of the rocks. Don't worry about hunger strikes. They will do that from time to time.

its such an awesome looking fish but mine literaly burrys himself under the rocks. what are some of there favorite foods?

100_6682.jpg

thats the best pic i got of him sofar

I had to trade my snowflake after he took a bite out of my white ribbon eel, but I know he used to LOVE squid. If you feed frozen squid in a cube, let it thaw in a glass of tank water, you can give it to the eel on the end of a stick and it will stay whole--the eel will grab the cube and wrestle it a bit til he swallows--pretty interesting to watch.

Also, I know how you feel--I just got a zebra eel for my larger tank, and he is very cute and gorgeous, but not very active.....

awesome! one more question that keep on meaning to ask. a worker at my LFS said he fed him the morning i bought him,which is true, but on the ride home he regurgitated his food is that normal? is there anything i should worry about? i havent seen him eat yet but im going to try to feed tonight.

My eel did the same thing when I took him to someone to hold for me for a while. Luckily, it happened right after I put him in the bag. I just rebagged him in a clean one.

I wouldn't be worried at all. Mine didn't eat at all the first week I got him, so just give him time and he should be fine.

ok awesome the lights just turned off about 30 minutes ago and he seems to be poking his head out more then he was so maby hes warming up a bit i put some krill in there for him so far he hasent touched it but i figure i'd give it a shot since i had to feed the lion anyways.

Snowflakes (like most eels) have very poor eyesight. I suggest using a feeding stick to target feed your eel. Target feeding will help to eliminate uneaten food decomposing within the tank and overloading your system. Krill is fine but a varied diet is very important to the health of your eel. A mixture of krill, shrimp, silversides, squid, clams, etc is best.

Maybe it's just the picture but your eel looks pale to me. The coloration should improve as the eel settles into it's new surroundings.

Do you have a tight fitting cover on the tank? If not, get one! Snowflakes are notorious escape artists. The eel will get out of the tank through the smallest of openings. A tight fitting cover is a must.

Good luck.

yea its just the picture it blured a little he is very colorful in person. and yes i have a tight top, i taped off any small crack i have by the filter and wires.

i really hope he kills some damsels. i cant catch them haha

what does it mean when he sticks his head out with his mouth open? is he asking for food? haha or is it just a habbit they have.

My snowflake hides most of the time. He might have just his head poking out of the rock. At feeding time, I'll put the food down close to his nose and as he comes after it, pull the food away enough so he comes about 3/4 of his body length out of the rocks so I can see him. He's getting big!

He eats mainly silverside, and occasionally he'll take a krill. I soak the food with Selcon, Garlic, and Zoe. All my fish look great.

If you haven't seen it, I posted a video of feeding time in the "Show us your aggresive fish" thread. It's REALLY unusual for the snowflake to come out and chase others around like that though. We just lucked out when we made that video.

well he finaly ate. it was a job haha, i had to go into his cave and bump him on the face with the food then i lured him out with it and bumped him on the face again and he just attacted it and gulped it right up. fresh chunk for prawn.

finaly... after a few long hours the 50 gallon breeder is in place and everything is in it and doing good. i'll have some pics up shortly

Back