So Cal Tropical Fish...Tom's Response

ive had nothing but great experiences at Tom' store. I live in west LA, i have to drive an hour to get to him and its worth it.

he always has what you are looking for and everything is high end for very competitive prices...

his store seems pretty legit to me.

Toms a fob. He needs spell check cuz after reading his reply I felt like I my girlfriend was the one who typed it. Btw my girl is a fob. Lol

Tom is cool as hell. He needs fob check on his computer.

I concur, Tom is a great guy, excellent customer service, great selection, great price. I have Lfs around my area but I am willing to drive to his store because I know he will give me a good price. Where is this closed thread anyways, I'd like to read the story.

At least you guys understand him. Sometime I don't even understand the word coming out of my mouth

Toms a fob. He needs spell check cuz after reading his reply I felt like I my girlfriend was the one who typed it. Btw my girl is a fob. Lol

Tom is cool as hell. He needs fob check on his computer.

Sorry guys~
I was too busy trying to close 2 of my business deals in order to make more money to support my "costly dumping the money into the water tank" habit.

Now here I am.

Tom, I told you at least 2 times that I purchased the unit around 8 to 10 months ago, I don’t know why you keep saying “3 weeks” and also the whole conversation with you, was all about how DA punked you and you are no longer their dealers. I DID NOT hear you say “let me know if you need my help.” Actually, I didn’t feel a thing that you wanted to help. You were just trying your best to stay out of trouble and just run you business as you mentioned which I TOTALLY UNDERSTOOD. But if you did let me feel you wanted to help me and I would NEVER drag you into the thread as well. Because you are the only one who can prove that I purchased this from STF.

The only comment that I made on both parties;

"What a great service from both parties."

I really don’t think it’s too much for a helpless customer to say.:bounce1:

Overall, I do not have any issue with Socal, I know you are a "quick cash type" businessman and I am totally okay with it. The main reason that I started that thread is because of I wasn’t sure Socal is/was an authorized dealer of DA, also I wanted to force DA to solve my problem in public so that's why I gave them the link. I guess I accidentally dropped blood into the water and it attracted lots of unwanted sharks to attack you. (My bad)

Last edited:
The reply from DA was totally BSed.
I told DA I purchased it from STF and I do not have the receipt at "œbeginning"œ and DA accepted it. They inspected my head unit and sent me back after 2 weeks, but I still didn't see anything on the screen and I e-mailed them several times with no response. I decided to send my whole unit to them without their permission. A day before the package arrives to them, I e-mailed them again and told them that they will be receiving my package next day and this is the reply from them;

"Please note that SoCal Tropical is not an authorized reseller of our product. Because there is no receipt from an authorized reseller the unit is not covered under warranty."

Thank you,
--
Digital Aquatics Support Team
support@digitalaquatics.com

This is what the whole story is about.
For me, DA is the one who is trying to mislead everyone. The gray market /cash deal was totally BSed :uzi:

I buy from Tom all the time. He is terrific! Great prices, fast shipping and very responsive. Any issues that I have had were dealt with immediately and professionally. That said, I never expect Tom to replace faulty hardware. That is usually the job of the manufacturer. When I had an impeller fail on one of my alpha 300 pumps, I contacted Tom who provided me a reciept that was required by the distributor. When my JBJ Chiller arrived dead, he arranged for it to be swapped same day by the manufacturer who was local to me. If its within his power to help, he seems very willing to go the extra mile. Since I dont know the whole story (both sides) behind the original post, I cant comment on that. I just know that I am very happy with So. Cal Tropical and If I need any equipment, Tom is always the first place I will contact.

Last edited:
Why is it that DA said the unit was working properly? People lose receipts all the time and for them to say that and not stand by their product is bogus. What's the manufacturer warranty? 1 year? Sounds like both sides had a falling out but the manufacturer needed to step up.

The reply from DA was totally BSed.
I told DA I purchased it from STF and I do not have the receipt at "œbeginning"œ and DA accepted it. They inspected my head unit and sent me back after 2 weeks, but I still didn't see anything on the screen and I e-mailed them several times with no response. I decided to send my whole unit to them without their permission. A day before the package arrives to them, I e-mailed them again and told them that they will be receiving my package next day and this is the reply from them;

"Please note that SoCal Tropical is not an authorized reseller of our product. Because there is no receipt from an authorized reseller the unit is not covered under warranty."

Thank you,
--

This is what the whole story is about.
For me, DA is the one who is trying to mislead everyone. The gray market /cash deal was totally BSed :uzi:

Tom isnt saying you got it within 3 weeks... he confirmed you got it several months ago... i can understand the confusion to not understanding, but, from a resellers point, it wouldnt be normal for a reseller to take the unit back, but rather to help you send your unit to the mfg or to support you in that effort...

I would try to contact another reefer to see if he can help you understand why the unit isnt working...

Why is it that DA said the unit was working properly?

Well! I have no idea~ :celeb3:

Mail from DA on June 28th

Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: (Case D822) RKE V2 Head Unit Doesn't Work

After receiving your system, we performed a firmware update and Factory Reset your head unit. There were a few unusual things with your unit prior to the update, but after leaving your RKE on a system for testing, it has run without any issues for quite some time now.
However, given that issues like the one you experienced cannot always be replicated in house, we'll replace your RKE with a new one just to be safe. It should go out tomorrow afternoon. If you still experience issues with the new unit, we can troubleshoot further from there.

Thank you,
--

Mail from DA on June 28th

Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: (Case D822) RKE V2 Head Unit Doesn't Work

After receiving your system, we performed a firmware update and Factory Reset your head unit...
However, given that issues like the one you experienced cannot always be replicated in house, we'll replace your RKE with a new one just to be safe. ... If you still experience issues with the new unit, we can troubleshoot further from there.
Now I'm really confused...DA's response was 2 weeks BEFORE you started the 'other' thread! Did you already have a new replacement? Did it work correctly?

Now I'm really confused...DA's response was 2 weeks BEFORE you started the 'other' thread! Did you already have a new replacement? Did it work correctly?

They inspected my head unit and sent me back after 2 weeks, but I still didn't see anything on the screen.I sent my whole unit to them again without their permission(no response).
A day before my package arrives to them I e-mailed them again and their refused to help due to the reason below.

PS: My unit is on the way back to my house right now.

tom's sister needs to work on her ninja following/shadowing people thinking they might be stealing skills, otherwise I might spend more there if i weren't a predetermined "suspect". and I have never been greeted by tom or his sister when entering either the old or new establishment. I even complimented him on the move to the new shop....fell on deaf ears i suppose :confused:

It's unfortunate there was a misunderstanding here. Hope it gets resolved. As for Tom and SoCal Tropical Fish Outlet, I've been a hobbyist for over 35 years and this is one of the better stores I've shopped. Tom has been very helpful and fair to me. He has given me great deals on merchandise and overall great customer service. I hope he continues to improve his store and his livestock selection!

Back