So, it happened!

Kakabub

I had the canopy open to feed the fish/coral and enjoying my favorite beverage, sierra nevada pale ale, put my beer on the open canopy and fed the fish... Can you guess what happened next? Yah, so only about half of it went in the tank, but I'm wondering how bad will it affect the tank? I have already done a 20g water change and have the skimmer running wet for the night. 125g tank with probably 25g in the sump also. Everything looks good right now(happened about and hour ago), just want to make sure I won't wake up to a disaster.

Wow! I think you'll be ok. Skimmers work wonders. I would just make sure you don't overflow the collection cup on the skimmer overnight. :beer:

No worries on that, I have it hooked up to a 1 gallon jug so should be ok for the skimmer overflow... LOL when it happened I was more worried about the beer, didn't think about what it might do to the water params!

never run carbon, the tank is only about 3 months old... not to sound stupid, but do i just get a media bag and put it in the sump?

OK, so it's a common trend for reefers to pour Vodka in their tanks... I've even heard of some reefers dosing Rum... but this is the first I've heard of dosing Pale Ale. :lol:

In all seriousness you shouldn't worry, and you really don't have to do anything.
All you've done is add a very negligable amount of extra nutrients to your tank by way of alcohol and the organic components in beer (yeast, hops, barley, malt, etc.)
Your algae and pods (brewers yeast is a common supplimental food for copepods) may get a small snack from it, but at a ratio of 6oz. of to 150gal. I doubt they'd even notice. ;)

Just try to be more careful in the future.
If you let that happen with something poisonous like your water testing reagents (or budweiser :p) then you could have some very dire consequences.

Budweiser is not allowed in my house, PBR/Olympia/Old Style maybe... Funny thing is when I put the beer up there I said to myself, 'that would suck if I forgot it was there and closed the canopy'...

It's always nice to prove your hypothesis. :D

It's better to use carbon with forced flow (ie: reactor, canister). Passive isn't as good. Don't know if carbon would really do much for you in this situation tho. It's all food grade material, so what the skimmer doesn't catch, the bio-filter will.

You may be a pioneer here, keep an eye on any positive effects your tank has, who knows maybe a year from now everyone is going to be dosing there tank with pale ale :D

Talk about a major party foul!!! You'll be just fine. No toxins were introduced, just stuff that your skimmer will remove.

So last night I was laying in bed and I could have sworn I heard Irish drinking songs coming from the living room where the tank is. I checked on the tank this morning and the zoas had moved and were in the polyps of the torch coral, coral beauty was sleeping right next to the wrasse, and goby was passed out in front of his house! All kidding aside, everything looks fine ;)

I tried some of that nevade sierra pale ale once and I couldnt stand it. I think I had a bad batch though as there was alot of sedimment in the bottom. And I mean ALOT!!!

See, that works out perfect! More Budweiser for you, and more Sierra Nevada for me :) I think all Sierra Nevada has sediment, they don't filter it as much.

Back