So long, and thanks for all the fish :)

passedpawn

I have not been an active participant on this forum, but I've been lurking for a long time. So, I don't have a good reason to be posting this except I have nobody else to tell. I'm done with reefing. I got rid of my tank. Waah! I came here to post a giveaway in the Tampa Bay section of the forum, which I think used to be pretty busy.

I've been a reefer for so, so long. Started back when those wet/dry systems were popular, I guess in the late 80's. Went through tanks, many skimmers, equipment galore. My god, I'm pretty sure I've used EVERY method of lighting a tank known to reefers. Ending on a combo of VHO LEDs and MH. I think this was ideal. Got some great growth with this.

My tank is inside my house, but I plumbed it to a shed behind my house where I had the sump, skimmer, various dosers, filtration, heating, controllers, etc. This was awesome because it REALLY reduced the noise, which can be problem if you're watching movies or listening to music.

Why am I done? I had a disaster a year ago, and I just don't have the heart to start up again. I had really great growth on all the rock (monti was covering everything). Then I replaced a 30g plastic garbage can that I used for RO/DI water that fed into my sump. There must have been something nasty off-gassing from it, because a week later the whole tank crashed hard. Fish were fine (well, for a while), but coral die-off was awful.

Anyway, it's possible some day I'll grab one of those nifty nanos and get busy with it again, but I'm done with the big stuff. I'm going to build a bar into the place where the tank used to be.

Cheers!

cheers mate, sorry to hear that and hope you get the passion back for it one day, (I got it back this year after 8 years out of the hobby). good luck.

Its sad to think that one day in the future I be doing the same. My first was in the late 80's. I had worked up to the existing 375 gallons. Hope you be back in the hobby with a nano soon

Deep sympathy. I've been through disasters and down spots myself, and I offer you the only wisdom I've gained: most of us do come back, and usually go for a new type of setup, because there;s always new, and there;s stuff to learn, and you just get to longing for the sound of bubbling water. So, so sorry. And hope you will be back when it;s time.

I have not been an active participant on this forum, but I've been lurking for a long time. So, I don't have a good reason to be posting this except I have nobody else to tell. I'm done with reefing. I got rid of my tank. Waah! I came here to post a giveaway in the Tampa Bay section of the forum, which I think used to be pretty busy.

I've been a reefer for so, so long. Started back when those wet/dry systems were popular, I guess in the late 80's. Went through tanks, many skimmers, equipment galore. My god, I'm pretty sure I've used EVERY method of lighting a tank known to reefers. Ending on a combo of VHO LEDs and MH. I think this was ideal. Got some great growth with this.

My tank is inside my house, but I plumbed it to a shed behind my house where I had the sump, skimmer, various dosers, filtration, heating, controllers, etc. This was awesome because it REALLY reduced the noise, which can be problem if you're watching movies or listening to music.

Why am I done? I had a disaster a year ago, and I just don't have the heart to start up again. I had really great growth on all the rock (monti was covering everything). Then I replaced a 30g plastic garbage can that I used for RO/DI water that fed into my sump. There must have been something nasty off-gassing from it, because a week later the whole tank crashed hard. Fish were fine (well, for a while), but coral die-off was awful.

Anyway, it's possible some day I'll grab one of those nifty nanos and get busy with it again, but I'm done with the big stuff. I'm going to build a bar into the place where the tank used to be.

Cheers!

I'm totally with you. Things went south last year and I just haven't been able to recover. I am exhausted and throwing in the towel.

Yep, been there. It's definitely sad but in my case, we bought a travel trailer and we hook up and take off for long weekends and I don't need to worry about top offs, floods, not feeding...it's a new chapter.

Two of my tank crashes were caused by the bug guy who would spray into the 40-gallon Brute trash can holding my new SW, it killed all of my fish. If you put water in the can today there will be a 1" inch fuzzy ring around the whole inside of the tank, so it easy to contaminate a brute can and it last for years.

Yes it easy to go away, but hard to stay away. I rather you stay. Good luck and happy reefing.

Two of my tank crashes were caused by the bug guy who would spray into the 40-gallon Brute trash can holding my new SW, it killed all of my fish. If you put water in the can today there will be a 1" inch fuzzy ring around the whole inside of the tank, so it easy to contaminate a brute can and it last for years.

Yes it easy to go away, but hard to stay away. I rather you stay. Good luck and happy reefing.

I had a bug guy. Fired, for ineptitude (story not relevant here, but I'm with you).

I'm still feeling the relief of being done. I always felt a little anxiety about the health of my tank (I swear I loved each of my fish, sad I know). Kinda glad to be away from that. But perhaps one day.

A nice place to be is, get rid of all of your stuff and just get an IM Lagoon 25. easy pezy. KISS and enjoy. Happy New Year

Back