So people said it couldnt be done in my 27g hexagon.. I proved it can

Status
Not open for further replies.

candymancan

So my 27g hexagon reef tank has been running for 2 months or so now. I went to local fish stores.. asked on forums as im new to salt water and reef keeping but i have been doing fresh water for 20 years.

People kept cringing saying i need a sump.. i need a protien skimmer i cant do it.. nitrates will always be high... I need 0 everything to keep coral... Coral need low 70s for temps 80f wont work.. blah blah blah blah... I decided to just not bother asking anymore questions as ive been around that with fresh water and discus and people tend to have the same attitudes of you cant on those forums either... Such as you need bare bottom and you need low ph.. you need RO water you need to change water daily and so forth and i found non of that to be true.

Anyway. I resealed my childhood 27g hexagon.. Put about 50lbs of dead rock in it from amazon built up my rock wall and my archway in the center and i poured a gallon of nitrifying bacteria in the tank.. In 4 days the tank was cycled and I immediatly put coral and fish in.. I put in a bubble coral, torch coral, hammer coral, green stylophora, a type of brain coral, purple monitpora and a purple acropora, i also was given a bleached coral that looked luke a birds nest or some kind of stylophora perhaps.. Also got a sagging green tree nepthea.

I started with 4 65w power compact lights as i had no more funds... Guess what the bleached coral i was given came back to life extending polyps turning dark brown and then a neon green on its branches looks interesting.. The stylophoras also a very brighy green and they too went from whitish to dark brown on the skin.

I put in a royal gramma a azure damzel and a flame angel.. And no i dont care what anyone says on the tank size for this fish.. I wanted one and hell be fine and hes been fine very happy actually. I have tons of caves in my rock work and he likes it.

I went through the diatom phaze in 1 week.. It took over my tank.. and was gone a week later.. Now i have that green algae growing on the rock work and i just noticed coraline algae starting to grow on the glass and rocks.

I got more coral about a month in and now i habe two bubble corals.. I got a pretty big yellow poritas.. Also got some zooanthids and i got a neon green mushroom coral and one other coral i forgot the name off hand.

I havent lost 1 fish 1 coral.. in fact they are all turning proper colors and growing.. I can already see the brain monit acropora and the nepthea have grown onto my rock work now.. The nepthea looks 2x bigger already.

I did have nitrate issues.. 20ppm i couldnt keep it down and i had to change the water every 3 to 4 days... I decided to hook up my 3 to 4 liter seachem matrix.denitrate reactor up to my eheim 350 surface skimmer as it puts out very low flow... In 2 weeks guess what nitrates went down to 10ppm.

I measured them a few days ago.. nitrates are 0 to 5ppm... I havent changed my water in 3 weeks now. Although i did yesturday just because.

I purchased a 4x 24w T5HO fixture for 75$ on amazon.. individual alum reflectors.. welded a L shaped bracket with square steel and screwed it to my stand to hang my light on..

Guess i proved all the doubters wrong, oh and im using tap water btw. I have no special filtration in this tank besides a HOB with a water polishing pad i clean in the sink every few days to keep particles in the tank down.. I have that cheesy surface skimmer to just keep dust and other junk on the surface off.. I have 2 power heads for circulation and thats it. Well of course the denitrate reactor but thats it

Pretty simple.. But my readings are nitrates 0-5ppm, calcium 560, magnisium 1300, ph 8.2, alk 12, phosphates 0 to .25 as my kit only does readings for that range. Salinity is 1.025

Im using reef crystals.. I dont like it as it keeps clouding my tank even if i premix it for days.. and leaves residue on everything. So i might switch its frustrating with this cloudy water that takes like a week to go away after i do water changes.. Even my mixing bucket is cloudy when it mixes

So yea it can be done with basic filtration and without RO.. I just cant wait to see how the tank matures more and how big the coral get in the months and years to come

2 months? Hope it is that beautiful in 6. That is very young for any tank and your Alk is very high with your NO3 & PO4 kind of out of balance...I would try to get the Alk into the lower 8 range, lower my Cal into the mid 400's....and hopefully using tap water does not lead to major algae issues just down the road. Best of luck to you!!

There's very little "can't" in this hobby, but there is a lot of "shouldn't." I'm sure you'll be able to keep things alive for a while, and probably plenty of things alive for a long time. I also firmly believe that you will have issues arise in the future that will limit your coral selection and may boost your frustration with the hobby. I also believe that your tank will never look like one of the greats out there if you continue to ignore literally years of progress and best practices and choose the "I know best" method. That's not an insult as my tank have never reached that level, just an observation.

Also, 2 months is a drop in the bucket. Brag when you reach a successful year.

One doesn't need $10K in equipment for a sucessful tank, but there are some basics to be followed if you expect to hit the average in the long term. I honestly wish you luck with your tank. I also think your smarter-than-thou tone won't bode well when you come up with questions/issues if you don't tone it back. Seriously though, best of luck with your tank!

You know, its almost like you are trying to get a specific reaction to your posts. Almost like you're being something, I can't think of the word, what is is that lives under a bridge?

You can take suggestions and advice however you want. There is no one way to run a tank. Though some ways are better than others, and some people measure success in years, not months. I think the best part of the forums is the ability to have a discussion with others, and debate over how things are done. When this is done in a civil manner, not aggressive or inflammatory or in a tone meant to be combative, everyone benefits. Knowledge is shared, people learn and the hobby can advance. Take that for what you will.

There's very little "can't" in this hobby, but there is a lot of "shouldn't." I'm sure you'll be able to keep things alive for a while, and probably plenty of things alive for a long time. I also firmly believe that you will have issues arise in the future that will limit your coral selection and may boost your frustration with the hobby. I also believe that your tank will never look like one of the greats out there if you continue to ignore literally years of progress and best practices and choose the "I know best" method. That's not an insult as my tank have never reached that level, just an observation.

Also, 2 months is a drop in the bucket. Brag when you reach a successful year.

One doesn't need $10K in equipment for a sucessful tank, but there are some basics to be followed if you expect to hit the average in the long term. I honestly wish you luck with your tank. I also think your smarter-than-thou tone won't bode well when you come up with questions/issues if you don't tone it back. Seriously though, best of luck with your tank!

This... Not much else to say other than I wish you luck.

2 months really is NOTHING in this hobby! the tank has yet to settle and things WILL suffer. I agree that skimmers, sumps, etc, are not required to be successful. However, good husbandry, proper care, and compatibility are required for long term success. Mixed reef, 2 months old, over stocked, with incompatible inhabitants = recipe for disaster. Flame Angel has all kinds of treat, especially that nice little clam (which is not likely to survive long term). Simply put, keeping this tank happy and healthy long term (18+ months), is a MAJOR uphill (like a hike to the moon) battle.

I am not saying any of this to be malicious, and I wish you luck, but you started with an attitude, admitted that you are new to SW, and claimed success after only 2 months. All of this while ignoring the advice of MANY reefers with DECADES of experience, does not breed confidence that your tank will be a joy to you, instead I fear that it will become a frustration to you. You will hear it all the time, but "nothing good happens fast in this hobby".

I really do hope that you can prove us wrong, but my nearly 15 years of SW experience tells me you will have many a problem down the road.

Been into fishkeeping probly longer then all of you so i dont need a 2 months is nothing in this hobby reminder... Ive heard it all.. And i dont need a reminder that 2 months isnt long i know it isnt hell i even mentioned it... Maybe youre reading comprehension is so low that you missed the part where i mentioned im curious to see progress in the months and years to come.

But i posted this thread to show the coral are fine. my fish are fine and i got my nitrates to 0 withnothing but a little zip tie container with denitrate in it powered by a 30$ surface skimmer.

And you know what i will ppst back in 4 more months at 6 month part and again in a year... Just prove how wrong some of arrogant and elitist people are.

Like i said i had discus people say the same thing 10+ years ago and look at my main tank. OMG BBQ not bare bottom.. plants omg.. High ph.. oh noo.. and 80% water change from the sink weekly.. Surely i cant have healthy adult discus that breed every week.

Im not being a troll im being a ******* here because im tired of people saying it cant be done. And when my tank matures more and you find out you were all wrong i expect you.. I dont doubt ill have common problems you all experienced at one point or another but what im saying is its working

Last edited by a moderator:
The only arrogant person here is you.... And ive been keeping fish for over 30 years. My first salt water tank was set up in the mid 80's. I hope you prove us wrong but like everyone else I do believe your headed for failure.

BRTky.jpg

I hope the OP has success, at the same time I am crossing my fingers and toes for a different update :lolspin:

I hope the OP has success, at the same time I am crossing my fingers and toes for a different update :lolspin:

I would never wish failure on anyone. I hope OP does have success. It is nice to share the excitement and stories of this hobby with others. However nothing candymancan is doing is revolutionary. There are people that push the limits of the hobby testing new ways of doing things. No water changes, keeping hard to keep fish, etc. But a bare bones tank stocked with fish that might not be suitable, and including corals isn't new or out of the ordinary. I'd guess most everyone no on the forums does this. The average person that walks into a petco wanting a nemo does this. No RODI, again not out of the ordinary. Nothing here is new or special, or even really that big of a deal. Candymancan clearly just wants to be inflamatory.

None of the corals are that hard to care for. Neither are the fish. I wouldn't keep a flame angel in a tank that small, but there are more egregious choices than that so whatever. The clam will likely struggle since the lights may be good enough but the angel may nip it. And depending on people's tap water, the tank may be fine forever, or may crash in 3 months, though it may explain why the parameters aren't really balanced. No skimmer, no sump, plenty do that so another nothingburger. So overall it really is a huge BFD who cares?

Candayman,

Pipe down with the attitude please.
Be careful, that chip on ones shoulder can get pretty heavy.
Don't post comments like that again which I've edited out.

Oh and since you are so knowledgeable of this hobby, I'm sure you are aware that success in this hobby is not measured in single digit months.

Good luck.

People kept cringing saying i need a sump.. i need a protien skimmer i cant do it.. nitrates will always be high... I need 0 everything to keep coral... Coral need low 70s for temps 80f wont work.. blah blah blah blah... I decided to just not bother asking anymore questions

What site have you been reading? You can find just as many people who have been years without a sump (I just recently started my first sump after 24 years in saltwater), I've gone years without a protein skimmer (and with low nitrates), and you can find many, many posts about corals being okay up into the low 80s.

Yes, some of the things you listed are recommendations, and many folks will recite them - but far from all.

I think your post was intended just to start an argument. You need to check your attitude.

Kevin

Seems tome it is about time for a mod to close this one. No amount of discussion is going to go anywhere with the ATTITUDE the OP is throwing out there. Heaven forbid experienced people share their opinions, especially if they don't agree with your own.:deadhorse:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back