So the wife said, "No more fish tanks"

So I went downstairs to check on the melanopus clown in QT this afternoon and to feed some nori and everything was good. Went down like 30 mins ago and lost the male due to a jumping incident, which really sucks. Wife is super bummed. Looks like I have to get a cover. Never had any issues with other clowns jumping. Looks like I have to order another clown now.

I sure did. Crazy, because I have never won anything in my life, including Reef Stock.

That sounds fun..where did you ski? I'm pretty partial to Winter Park/Mary Jane.

Awesome! Its a really good shop.

We went to keystone since the conditions were not that great. It seems that mountain has some good groomers that get a decent amount of sun and soften up fast in these conditions. My favorite in Colorado is Mary Jane. Awesome terrain there. Will probably go back to that pass next year.

Sorry about your clown :(

Congrats on winning the tank! That's really cool. I'm also the "never win anything" sort. :) Since it's a small tank, what about a bunch of small gobies? Clown gobies are always cute if you don't mind not having SPS in the tank, or maybe a citron goby for a slightly larger one. There are lots of really small and pretty gobies that would look great in a little community. Here are some ideas:

Gold Neon Eviota Goby
Greenbanded Goby
Neon Blue Goby
Red Head Goby
Red Spotted Goby
Red Striped Goby
Tangaroa Goby
Yellow Priolepis Goby
Black Barred Convict Goby

I think it'd be cool to have a mix of some of these guys hanging out in their own little tank, and they're so cute that your wife will probably like them too. :)

Awesome! Its a really good shop.

We went to keystone since the conditions were not that great. It seems that mountain has some good groomers that get a decent amount of sun and soften up fast in these conditions. My favorite in Colorado is Mary Jane. Awesome terrain there. Will probably go back to that pass next year.

Sorry about your clown :(

Yeah, Elite was one of the first stores I went to when I got into the hobby. Everyone there has always been super helpful to me and I would say give me spot on info once I check it back against RC.

Mary Jane is great. Lots of really good expert terrain to play on. I haven't bought the pass in a few years, but am thinking about doing it again.

Yeah now I'm trying to find out if I can pair the female up with a different clown species or if I should just buy another melanopus. Thoughts?

This isn't what I expected to read when I clicked on this thread, but for your sake, I'm glad I was mistaken!

This isn't what I expected to read when I clicked on this thread, but for your sake, I'm glad I was mistaken!

Yeah I always see these catchy titles from everyone and so I wanted to get everyone's attention.

I think I would be devastated if that was truly the case!

What about one of the small anglers?
like : http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+19+76&pcatid=76

Don't know a ton about them except that I have always thought they are cool but they kind of need their own tank since they will eat everything...

The recommended tank size is slightly larger but I don't think they really are a super active fish.

I do think they are interesting fish, but not sure if they are interesting enough to carry a tank on their own. Will keep it in mind for sure. Thanks

A bluespot jawfish has to be one of the coolest fish, always checking out whats going on inside and outside the tank. Very cool!

Did you see my suggestion about a goby tank? I also think that a breeding pair of banggai cardinals would be cool. The babies aren't too hard to raise, especially in a tank that size, and captive-bred cardinals help take the pressure off of the endangered wild population.

I really like this idea, but am not sure if I am astute enough to handle an NPS tank. I would definitely have to do some additional research. Any thought on NPS tanks?

I have not done a ton of research but from what I learned when looking into blueberry sea fans; NPS don't do well long term, at least the blueberry sea fans dont. Which is a shame because they are one of the cooler looking tank items since they look like a blossoming tree.

With the angler you could make a full reef tank with corals & the fish. The non-reef safe is just that they will eat tank mates from what I can tell IE no decorative shrimp (don't know about snails.)

I just like that one I linked because of it's alleged chameleon characteristics where it will change colors to blend in.

Did you see my suggestion about a goby tank? I also think that a breeding pair of banggai cardinals would be cool. The babies aren't too hard to raise, especially in a tank that size, and captive-bred cardinals help take the pressure off of the endangered wild population.

I did see your suggestion and I'm in the process of looking at each of the species you recommended. I'm definitely interested in the idea. I'm not a huge fan of the cardinals.

I have not done a ton of research but from what I learned when looking into blueberry sea fans; NPS don't do well long term, at least the blueberry sea fans dont. Which is a shame because they are one of the cooler looking tank items since they look like a blossoming tree.

With the angler you could make a full reef tank with corals & the fish. The non-reef safe is just that they will eat tank mates from what I can tell IE no decorative shrimp (don't know about snails.)

I just like that one I linked because of it's alleged chameleon characteristics where it will change colors to blend in.

I did some more research on the NPS idea and am definitely not sure if I have the time that an NPS tank requires. That idea looks to be on the back burner now.

I like the angler fish for sure...still toying with that idea.

Where are you going to find the Barnacle cluster apartment complex?

When I was looking I saw a place where you could actually buy a 5" barnacle that could be used. However if I chose to go that way I think I would try to build my own with LR and drilling a bunch of holes directly into the rock work.

A bluespot jawfish has to be one of the coolest fish, always checking out whats going on inside and outside the tank. Very cool!

So the blue dot is a go with the wife, but they require a minimum of a 30g tank. My tank is only a 14g tank.

I really want to keep this tank "by the book" and not pus the envelope. Another reason why I'm shying away from the angler tank.

I might have someone disagree with me here but I too heard seahorses are very hard to keep but I set up a small tank and there actually really easy. Very little maintainence and so far no casualties. Just make sure to keep your water cool. around 72 degrees. thats the only hard part because most small tanks can't have a chiller. I just keep a computer fan on mine with a temp controller and it works really well because of evaporative cooling.

Looked into the dwarf seahorses and yes I could keep them in there, but I'm not sure if I would want a seahorse tank. I have heard that they are super hard to keep.

So the blue dot is a go with the wife, but they require a minimum of a 30g tank. My tank is only a 14g tank.

I really want to keep this tank "by the book" and not pus the envelope. Another reason why I'm shying away from the angler tank.

You might check with some of the bluespot keepers in the reef fish forum, a single fish in a 14g may be ok, just a thought. Good luck with whatever it turns out to be. Can't beat a free setup!

Back