So the wife said, "No more fish tanks"

saltysailor2329

Well, that has been the constant phrase that I have heard from her for the last six months.

That was until Sunday evening when I won a 14g nano with built in refugium and an AI Nano LED light.

When I brought it home she said that since I didn't have to buy it, that WE could set it up, which is awesome because I absolutely thought that she was going to tell me that I needed to post it for sale.

Now with that said, I need some ideas on what to keep. As my signature says I already have a 125g that is my main tank. It just finished cycling and will be a full on mixed reef with some really nice fish. Already have a fox face, humu humu, diamond watchman goby in the 40 breeder waiting to move over and a pair of melanopus clowns in QT.

I also have a RSM 130D that is a mixed reef as well. It has a torch, frog spawn, metallic green brain, galaxea, zoas, plate corals, spiny mushroom, palm tree, shrooms, etc. Also, got a pair of occelaris clowns and a fire goby.

3g pico has some corals and a sexy shrimp.

So I would like to do something a bit different with the 14g. The wife will definitely want some corals, but I'm trying to figure out something a bit different as the main theme.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

nice, I have a 125 reef and just set up a ten gallon. I think I'm going to do ricordeas. The colors are amazing. I just put in a pstol shrimp and an orange striped goby.

It's funny you mention the pistol shrimp and goby because I was talking to my about that today on the way home from the office. I like the idea of one type of coral that has a lot of different color possibilities. Definitely keep that in mind...thanks.

Maybe you could set it up as a macroalgae tank. There are some beautiful macro algaes available. One of the prettiest tanks I ever saw was dedicated to different species of macroalgae. I think it might be a thread on here somewhere. I'll see if I can find a link to it.

I dont know about type of tank, but all it takes for your wife to say "ok" is for you to say you won it? hmm, HOOOON i won a used tank set up from a guy running a raffle on CL!!!!!! I know i have to rent a truck to pick it up and i spent 1k on raffle tickets but i WON it!

Maybe you could set it up as a macroalgae tank. There are some beautiful macro algaes available. One of the prettiest tanks I ever saw was dedicated to different species of macroalgae. I think it might be a thread on here somewhere. I'll see if I can find a link to it.

I think I know what tank you are talking about. Very nice for sure, but not my style.

I dont know about type of tank, but all it takes for your wife to say "ok" is for you to say you won it? hmm, HOOOON i won a used tank set up from a guy running a raffle on CL!!!!!! I know i have to rent a truck to pick it up and i spent 1k on raffle tickets but i WON it!

I love that idea. I might try and steal that down the road for sure.

You could do a mantis shrimp tank. There are a couple of species that would be perfectly happy in a 14 gallon tank. They're out of the ordinary & many of them are quite interactive & fun to keep.

quite interactive & fun to keep.

Yup, nothing more fun than them splitting your thumb open!:eek2:

All kidding aside , they are pretty cool!

I am wondering if you could keep a couple of dwarf seahorses, or cuttlefish in a tank that size. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Personally, I'd go with a Barnacle blenny tank. Get a group of 5 or 6 and an "apartment" for them to live in and you could have an awesome little display. The Hancock's Blennies that are available now are great little fish. Corals could be whatever you want.

You could do a mantis shrimp tank. There are a couple of species that would be perfectly happy in a 14 gallon tank. They're out of the ordinary & many of them are quite interactive & fun to keep.

This one is definitely at the top of my list, but not sure if I can talk the wife into it. She loves the looks of them, but doesn't like that she can't have much else in the tank.

Yup, nothing more fun than them splitting your thumb open!:eek2:

All kidding aside , they are pretty cool!

I am wondering if you could keep a couple of dwarf seahorses, or cuttlefish in a tank that size. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Looked into the dwarf seahorses and yes I could keep them in there, but I'm not sure if I would want a seahorse tank. I have heard that they are super hard to keep.

Personally, I'd go with a Barnacle blenny tank. Get a group of 5 or 6 and an "apartment" for them to live in and you could have an awesome little display. The Hancock's Blennies that are available now are great little fish. Corals could be whatever you want.

Now that is a very good idea. I think we may have a winner there. I'll talk to the wife and let you all know!

Did you win it at elite reef? I was trying to make it there but ended up skiing with a couple vendors that were in town for reefstock.

Did you win it at elite reef? I was trying to make it there but ended up skiing with a couple vendors that were in town for reefstock.

I sure did. Crazy, because I have never won anything in my life, including Reef Stock.

That sounds fun..where did you ski? I'm pretty partial to Winter Park/Mary Jane.

Well, I spoke with my wife and she wasn't interested in the barnacle blenny idea. So, back to the drawing board for the 14g. Keep the ideas coming please.

Back