So why are fish from the Red Sea Prettier/More vibrant than from elsewhere?

why are persian rugs prettier than all the other carpets??? :D

besides that, this seems to be a subjective issue.

vibrant =shimmy?????? :D

actually fish from the red sea are spectacular, just go diving there and you will see

I don't think anyone here is questioning that, the question was are they more spectacular than other tropical fish from other oceans, in what ways, and why?

I think if we are talking about general coloration than we could look at why tropical fish in general are so much more colorful than other sub tropical species. If we know the reason for that it might be that the Red Sea has more of whatever that factor is.

"The other idea is one developed by biologist Konrad Lorenz in the mid-20th century. He suggested that fish are conspicuously colored to help them identify their own species in the crowded reef environment, where there is direct competition between not only other species, but also members of their own.

Consequently, colors may allow for individual recognition. Even with some reef fish's intricate color pattern, no two are exactly alike. In his research on cleaner fish in the Indo-Pacific region, Lorenz studied striped cleaner wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus). While he couldn't tag the little fish, he could photograph them and tell the difference between individuals by their markings in photographs. "œIf we can, you can bet they can," he says."

- http://www.dtmag.com/Stories/Ocean Science/08-07-feature.htm

Perhaps the Red Sea is more crowded than say the Great Barrier reef or other indo-pacific reefs, if that is indeed the reason saltwater fish are so colorful.

That would be Moses that parted the Red Sea. Maybe they are still just sunburned from that event?

I don't have a specific example but I do remember on sites like liveaquaria.com that the Red Sea versions of fish cost more than the same fish from other parts of the the world.

This could be a supply issue but I agree with the premise of the OP that Red Sea fish are more colorful.

Maybe because of that guy that parted it, now what's his name.

That would be Moses that parted the Red Sea. Maybe they are still just sunburned from that event?

lol
you guys crack me up

richie

It's like the Beverly Hills of the sea, they've all had work done. The phone book there is full of numbers for plastic surgeonfish.

I don't know about more colorful, but I've found that (as a general rule) Red Sea fish are *healthier* than those collected elsewhere -- Bob Fenner spoke locally and attributed it to the close proximity of airports and rapid shippers in the area around the Red Sea. Being so close cuts days off the amount of time that the fish have to sit in overloaded, low oxygen, high ammonia holding tanks. Less time in those stressful and unhealthy conditions makes a big difference in the survival rate of the fish.

Interesting question - I have actually spent many hours snorkelling in the Red Sea off Ras Isa penninsula in Yemen back in the early 90's. I also was fortunate enough to dive in the Maldives. The Red Sea has some unique endemics like the Semilarvatus butterfly, Ashfur angel and Purple tang. They also have colorful variations of Pacific species like the Regal angel and the "Pearlscale" butterfly which has a more vibrant red than the orange coloration in the Pacific. I will say that the Semilarvatus and Asfur are quite hardy cuz I collected them and kept them in a relatively poor homemade FOWLR tank in Sana'a for over a year. Personally, I thought the Maldives were spectacular and would rate the Indian Ocean above the Red Sea for diversity and colorful fish - particularly the big angelfish.

Anyway, I think I read somewhere that the Red Sea is geologically older than other coral seas. Or maybe it was just the Moses effect.

answers. . .

answers. . .

Hey all,

Great thread! I agree, many fish from the Red Sea are a notch above other areas as mentioned--I remember seeing the Arabian Dottyback collected in the Red Sea, years ago, for the first time and being amazed by the color difference.

Thanks for they philosophical reasoning, but ufortunately, that doesn't answer the question.
Unfortunately, the mystery will continue. . . there are no finite "answers" to this one. We must rely on speculations about evolution, and as good as they sound, they are still just a good, educated guess.

I can understand survivability rates explained by better collecting and handling procedures, but not the color difference. Could be selective genetics, diet, water parameters, predation factors, Elvis, etc. . . .

But hey, that's the beauty of life--the things we can't figure out and have to guess at--It would be boring if we had it all figured out;)

Great question, though, and a good discussion. I like the "Moses Theory":spin2::lmao:

Have fun all,

Gordon:artist:

Back