SoCal's 60g SPS cube (2x2x2)

the top frame not support directly by the corners, rather glue and screws....Yikes
Nt best idea. Unlees i am missing something.

Should be like this
________
|.............| (ignore the (.))
|.............|
All the weight of the tank is directly on the 2x4 legs....

Not this
|---------| <--screw & glue?
|...............|
All the weight is supported by glue & screws
...Not good!

Other than this cube's are sweet and an SPS cube sweeter! Oh & be careful of the Haddoni gettin big!

Last edited:
I see your concern 110galreef. Maybe it is not that clear in the pics. Here are couple more I took that better shows how the weight will be distributed. All the weight will be put onto the top boards directly under the tank and then onto the outside boards down to the floor. It is a little concerning that there are only 2 2x4s in the back for support, but there is bracing under the top boards as well as the sides. I hope these pics clear it up. I think it should hold the tank just fine.
IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

your tank really shouldn't be very heavy...only like 500#'s overall should be fine. So no more than 250# across and one side. Also you do have a ton of screws in the back. Plus the top looks like a 3/4" piece of hardwood. That will support and spread the laod nicely. The screws are taking some of the load still, but not as bad as it originally looked. a 2x4 over a 24" span will hold a lot more weight than your laoding it with. It is always scary as we think "man if I had to support all that weight no way! " We realate this to our thinking...Not the WOOD!:lolspin:

To be 100% safe, I would on the back support the 1x6/1x8(??) that runs the top back & supports the top with some pieces direct to the floor in the open corners. Like maybe 2 -2x2 pieces of wood. 1x2 would suffice too. Whatever fits nice. This shouldn't be a big deal.

On the front, i would support the 1x6/1x4?? that runs front to back on the top sides direct to the bottom shelf as well with a 1x2 glued/and or screwed in. You can use the same material of wood that you lined it with.

I know you want max clearance in there. If you can't do this on the front, you agan look pretty stout for this size tank.

Last edited:
I plan on bracing the front with a couple of boards after I put the sump in. There is 25'' of clearance inside and the sump is 24''. The only thing is that if I ever want to take the sump out I will have a huge pain in the %#$ to deal with.

your tank really shouldn't be very heavy...only like 500#'s overall should be fine. So no more than 250# across and one side. Also you do have a ton of screws in the back. Plus the top looks like a 3/4" piece of hardwood. That will support and spread the laod nicely. The screws are taking some of the load still, but not as bad as it originally looked. a 2x4 over a 24" span will hold a lot more weight than your laoding it with. It is always scary as we think "man if I had to support all that weight no way! " We realate this to our thinking...Not the WOOD!:lolspin:

To be 100% safe, I would on the back support the 1x6/1x8(??) that runs the top back & supports the top with some pieces direct to the floor in the open corners. Like maybe 2 -2x2 pieces of wood. 1x2 would suffice too. Whatever fits nice. This shouldn't be a big deal.

On the front, i would support the 1x6/1x4?? that runs front to back on the top sides direct to the bottom shelf as well with a 1x2 glued/and or screwed in. You can use the same material of wood that you lined it with.

I know you want max clearance in there. If you can't do this on the front, you agan look pretty stout for this size tank.

Thanks!

Tank is set up and the water is cleared up. Everything is running smoothly so far. The stand seems to be taking the weight well (no bowing or odd noises), the plumbing is water tight, and all the livestock are doing great. It should be seeded in no time. I will post pics when I get the tank cleaned up and scaped.

Thanks everyone! Working on getting some more SPS and fish in the tank over the next few weeks. I will keep updating pics as the stocking progresses.

Thanks!

Tank is set up and the water is cleared up. Everything is running smoothly so far. The stand seems to be taking the weight well (no bowing or odd noises), the plumbing is water tight, and all the livestock are doing great. It should be seeded in no time. I will post pics when I get the tank cleaned up and scaped.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics..congrats on the new tank!

Hey, quick question...what kind of rock is that and due you epoxy it together to keep it from falling?
The rock is from Marcorocks. I did not epoxy it together. I just wedge it in and stack it evenly. It is not wobbly as the rock really fits together well.

Things are a little rough still and I have to move a couple of rocks around, but this this is pretty much the finished design. As you can see, I went for a more stepped look.
IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Params are all checking out (ca 440, alk 8.3, 0 nitrate/nitrite/ammonia). I am looking forward to reef-a-palooza in LA next weekend. I plan on getting a lot of SPS frags :D

Trying my hand at LEDs with the new Radion XR30w. Here are some pics of what this thing looks like over my tank. First impression: the light spread is great. Only one needed over a 24x24x24 cube imo. The colors on my corals really stand out as well, greens and reds especially. There is no "disco ball" effect that others have worried about. In fact, the shimmer is very comparable to my MH. I will keep this updated as to how my SPS reacts to the LEDs.
IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Back