sodium bicarbonate vs soda ash

ptreef

have used soda ash for last 8 years...

My Ph typically is in the 8.2-8.4 rage with the current soda ash dosing of 300ml/ day broken over 12 doses....

my understanding is that the typical mix of sodium bicarbonate is 50% as potent as soda ash,

So if im dosing 300ml a day of soda ash, i would need to dose around 600ml of sodium bicarbonate....

Can you make the sodium bicarbonate mix more concentrated?

Also I do notice the soda ash mix does over time crust over heaters and sections of sump near where dosed. Nothing crazy...

Is this a greater or lesser issue with sodium bicarbonate??

my understanding is that the typical mix of sodium bicarbonate is 50% as potent as soda ash,

Yes that's about right.

So if im dosing 300ml a day of soda ash, i would need to dose around 600ml of sodium bicarbonate....

Yes, if you are using the same weight/volume concentration.

Can you make the sodium bicarbonate mix more concentrated?

Probably. Quite a bit of either can dissolve in a liter of water.
Also I do notice the soda ash mix does over time crust over heaters and sections of sump near where dosed. Nothing crazy...

Is this a greater or lesser issue with sodium bicarbonate??

I don't think it will be much different. You should be adding to a high flow area, and shouldn't see much depositing.

Soda ash does not crust over the heaters, that is calcium carbonate but it is caused by the high pH of the soda ash. You would for sure have less crusting with bicarbonate as it has a lower pH. Your other option is to slow the soda ash feed or make sure it is going into a higher flow area.

Back