Sohal Tang questions

travis32

I recently acquired a sohal tang that had been at the lfs for a year. It's extremely healthy, and very well colored. I have it in a 230 gallon system, with 75 gallon sump. I have a blue hippo in there as well. So far I had a wrasse jump out, a midas blenny that's MIA (no corpse and no clue where it is... if it's alive..)

And that's just in the first 3 days of having the Sohal. The sohal and my blue hippo are still at odds. It fights back as much as the sohal gives. So, is it inevitable the sohal must go? Or is it possible my blue hippo will win out and force the sohal into submission? My blue hippo is larger and fights back, using it's tail spines, and using strategy to outsmart the sohal. They both seem to calm down whenever I feed. However, I really don't want the drama the sohal is creating in the tank.

Any reccomendations or is it best to sell him or flush him down the toilette? (He's only 4" or so right now.) (If I can catch him.......)

spznm

Sohals are really beautiful fish but some tend to get really territorial. I would wait till they establish pecking order. Btw Sohals are really intelligent fish.

travis32

Thanks.. Two completely opposite views. (I love forums for this reason).. Is it possible a pecking order will be established? Can I ever add new fish.. I'm down to 12 fish in a 230 gallon system. I was hoping to get heavily stocked at around 20-25.. I need to add a pair of clowns, at least one mandarin, and a dwarf angel of some type... and possiblya malnarous wrasse...

I'd also like a starry blenny and if my midas is really gone, a midas blenny.. GRRR!

I have the feeling the sohal will decimate anything new added....

Right now untouched are a fairy wrasse, 4 banghai cardinals, 4 blue green chromises, and two purple firefish, the hippo tang, and the sohal tang.

I can keep nori in the tank 24 / 7 if that would reduce agression towards other fish. I don't know.... It is beautiful but not beautiful enough to forgo any and all other fish... :(

p.s. the store is 200 miles away and maintains abnormal hours...

anbosu

You are going to have a hard time adding any fish after a sohal. They are extremely aggressive, so this is to be expected. Your tank, even though large, is also probably slightly undersized if you want to keep a sohal in a community tank.

nikon187

You are going to have a hard time adding any fish after a sohal. They are extremely aggressive, so this is to be expected. Your tank, even though large, is also probably slightly undersized if you want to keep a sohal in a community tank.

+1.. I highly dought the sohal will SUBMIT to the regal, maybe for a little while but in time the sohal will run the tank. It's what they do

SDguy

Fish heads unite!
Premium Member
Remove the sohol and bring ti back to the store.

Sohals are really beautiful fish but some tend to get really territorial.

Thanks.. Two completely opposite views. (I love forums for this reason)..

I wouldn't call those opposite. The first one is just saying what the second one is hinting at as a strong possible outcome. It's best to have a long term Plan B with these sorts of fish, that's all.

ca1ore

Grizzled & Cynical
I kept a Sohal once in a 300 and it was mean as hell in that tank too - would never keep one again (nor the pacific clown either), just too big and aggressive.

RxMike

Sohal

Sohal

I guess it all depends on the fish. I have a 4 inch sohal in my 300 gallon with alot of other fish. The sohal is a model citizen. it just swims back and forth from end to end of the tank. no aggression seen yet.

BTW one of my favorite fishes. Looks like the fish in the logo above.