Solar Ice Maker for Reef Tanks

Actually ammonia is a fairly common refrigerant for industrial application. Nothing dark ages about it....

The link won't work for me...

Tim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9229755#post9229755 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hllywd
Actually ammonia is a fairly common refrigerant for industrial application. Nothing dark ages about it....

The link won't work for me...

Tim

This is true, yet it hasn't been used in residential applications for decades.

Has anyone ever seen the doors on an ammonia based refrigeration room? It's an airlock door with a huge stoplight above it. Green OK to enter, RED, better be wearing a spacesuit. It's very cool!

-J

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9229851#post9229851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by miatawnt2b
This is true, yet it hasn't been used in residential applications for decades.

Has anyone ever seen the doors on an ammonia based refrigeration room? It's an airlock door with a huge stoplight above it. Green OK to enter, RED, better be wearing a spacesuit. It's very cool!

-J

HaHa that red light/green light thing is too cool.

As for the solar ice maker: I was picturing some thin solar panels on the roof and a cooling coil or something. The monstrocity in the picture is ridiculous :eek1:

yeah, actually it is really ridiculous. (the system is far more bigger than my tank!) :shock:

hmm, suppose we could build a smaller version? without the biggie solar reflector?

i'm thinking of a cooling coil but my ideas are not yet organized. hmm...

That thing is reall neat. I've never seen one before.

Any idea how much ice it can make? I skimmed the article, but didn't see anything about it's cooling capacity.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9238198#post9238198 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tang Salad
That thing is reall neat. I've never seen one before.

Any idea how much ice it can make? I skimmed the article, but didn't see anything about it's cooling capacity.

ten pounds of ice per cycle. :)

Can someoby please videotape their wifes response after showing her the plans to put one or two of these in the yard. It would make for great DIY entertainment.

dang.. im assuming for that price, you could just go get yourself one of those garage freezers, and just load it up with 1 gallon jugs of RO/DI water.....

hyep, indeed it would cost big there, but i've lots of junk at home and the materials are cheap here. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9251719#post9251719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dippin61
dang.. im assuming for that price, you could just go get yourself one of those garage freezers, and just load it up with 1 gallon jugs of RO/DI water.....

What will a freezer full or RO/DI jugs do for saving energy?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9229851#post9229851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by miatawnt2b

-J
I've been HazMat certified for 10 years or so and was just curious about this quote. The only time we use "spacesuits" called level A HazMat suits, are during a leak repair or during something like a catastrophic failure which could also turn into a body "recovery". The plant I work in uses 140,000 lbs. of ammonia and the doors to the compressor room only have regular locks. This room has 15 500HP ammonia compressors and 1 800HP compressor cooling 5 large spiral freezers which run about -50 F. Of course, authorized persons only have a key. Just wondering where you saw a set-up like you mentioned? Thanks.

Kidding aside, That magazine, Homepower, is awesome. Lots of good articles and DIYs. I knew it had to be that article before even opening it:)

did you know they use the exact same system on every buried support for the alaskan pipe line. its to keep the perma frost from melting. amazing.

every one of those antenna looking things is a condenser for each individual frig in each individual support

75358Predeger_pipe_helicopter_web.jpg

Back