Solar tubes

I was wondering if any one here around sac runs solar tubes? Curious if there's enough sun here in the winter months. Looking to start a new project.

I looked into these like crazy. Seemed like a good way to go, but would want to supplement with blue an royal blue LEDS.

I don't know about that area but here on the East Coast (Western North Carolina) there are some in use and in the winter the reduced angle of the sun makes them very ineffective without some serious supplementation.

I think it's a great idea but you really have to get really lucky for it to work in anything but a tropical location.

If you live in arizona or socal it's a guarantee, but in NorCal you need to plan it right. Figure it just like you would solar panels. find the side of your house that gets the most sunlight and plan your tank and solatubes around that. If you can manage at least 6hrs of direct sun on a spot on your roof you should be okay. Find out how the sun will move between summer and winter. 6 hrs is plenty. Blue led for spectrum supplement and evening viewing, plus added par.

pacific east aquaculture uses greenhouses in Maryland. cant imagine they get a ton of sun that far north and with a lot of clouds.

pacific east aquaculture uses greenhouses in Maryland. cant imagine they get a ton of sun that far north and with a lot of clouds.

I've been to there facility. It's very impressive. While they don't get a lot of sun in winter, in summer the do. The corals look great.

Back