SOM looking great!!!

phishcrazee

Just wanted to say I was up at the new SOM today in North Liberty, and WOW, it's looking awesome! Stop in if you can and check it out, it's right off the freeway in a light blue building. Turn right by the Handimart, then take the next right and there you are :)

He has a Moray eel in there with a head the size of a softball and the two sharks are as tame as lapdogs, very cool stuff to see :eek1:

you thought so? I stopped Friday & wasnt impressed at all. Had a couple tanks full of large green trees, another full of over priced zenia. Saw one tank with a ton of bubble algae. Fish were high priced. Didnt see one coral that jumped out at me.

XRoads, where were you at?? We are talking Sea of Miracles, right?... I stopped yesterday as well. I thought it was awesome! I must have missed the green trees and bubble algae. His water was crystal clear and everything was extremely healthy. He had a huge selection of fish and corals. Not much SPS though. He did have one real cool white Acro in a front tank that would have gone home with me if I were going straight home, but alas I wasn't. The sharks were way cool, and the Eels were great. Is there a shop in Iowa that can even compete with his setup?? I am not saying there isn't but I haven' seen it.

Im not saying it isnt one of the nicer ones around, just saying I still wasnt impressed. I guess I expect more from looking at the selection from online stores. Big eels & sharks are neat to see in a store, but wont be going into my tank. Neither will a green tree the size of volleyballs, brown zoas, zenia for $40 a stalk, or anything with some bubble alge growing on it.

Was just my impression is all. I expected more from all the hype I hear.

There wasn't much sps, but I don't really care for sps anyway :) There were a few really nice tanks of corals, IMO. He has a huge selection of fish, probably the most varied selection of shrimp and crabs I've ever seen in person (harlequin, emeralds, arrow). Sure, some of the pieces are too big for a lot of tanks, but there were plenty of normal sizes corals as well. I got a couple nice sized hunks of halmeida macro algae for $5.00, can't beat that. Yes, there was some bubble algae, but considering how much work setting up a a HUGE SW store must be, I think noticing some bubble algae is a little petty.........

That is one heck of an expensive to build and maintain store. His prices will be higher than online because he has actual nice show tanks instead of newly shipped corals just lying in a tub.

Very nice store. Great selection and great guy. He definately has my support

Flame me & call me petty all you want. I was just stating my observations. Ya it is a nice looking store & nice guy. Yes it is hard to set up & maintain a SW store in Iowa. I just wasnt impressed by the coral selection. I also know how hard it is to get rid of a bubble algae outbreak & I would be ****ed as hell if I got some introduced into my tank from a store of that quality.

I don't think anyone was flaming you. Although, I don't think the petty comment was very nice. We were all just giving our opinions. You are just harder to please than us and I'll bet your tanks(s) show it. So this is a good thing! ;0)

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things!

On a side note it is a little tricky to find the first time. It is right off the 380 exit. Caseys is buying out Handimart so it had both signs up. Also doing both road construction & building new buildings. It is off to the right, blue building behind the gas station.

I think you could put a saltwater store in the basement of the Principle Building in downtown Des Moines and true saltwater enthusiast will find it!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9844815#post9844815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bullet
I think you could put a saltwater store in the basement of the Principle Building in downtown Des Moines and true saltwater enthusiast will find it!

not just the basement, the 2nd sub-basement below the parking ramp in the tunnels under the street...

and I am soooo there..... :)

I'm going to have to travel outside of des moines when i want to get livestock, the only place worth anything here is Adam's aquatics but they have a very limited selection of corals

Bubble algae - either farm it (carefull not to pop it) or get an emerald crab.

Joj - might actually be a better idea to join the club and get great deals from other members.. it happens quite a bit. It would be cool to see you around.. and besides.. you owe me a couple discus fish :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9844815#post9844815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bullet

which building which floor?? oh wait you said you could ... not they did... damn it!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9870734#post9870734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nykademus
Bubble algae - either farm it (carefull not to pop it) or get an emerald crab.

Joj - might actually be a better idea to join the club and get great deals from other members.. it happens quite a bit. It would be cool to see you around.. and besides.. you owe me a couple discus fish :)

i could get you those discus if you want a pair of lesbians ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9875936#post9875936 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jojoyojimbi
i could get you those discus if you want a pair of lesbians ;)

If you had real fish one of them would switch so you wouldnt have that problem :)

i've only got two males, and one pair of my wattleys are fine, but the other two wattleys don't want anything to do with a crossbred male of low status like the other male, but alas, they're so purty i don't mind

Back