Some new pics

Grouperhead

New damsel - anyone got an id for me? I think it is some kind of gregory, but not sure which.

fish097bm4.jpg

Lemon damsel - really went at it when I added the new one about 10 days ago. Definately the meanest fish in the tank, mark on his side is from fighting with the other damsel. Things have cooled down between them, I can actually turn on the lights again.

fish104qc8.jpg

And of course, some of the undy. If you remember, he had some sort of cut/infection on his lip but it looks to have cleared perfectly. He's getting fat too. I try to keep him well fed so he won't turn on his tankmates and eat all the hermits.

fish106kr6.jpg

fish105fi2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Nice to see you have some company for your undy. I have only tried hermits so far, there has been one in there for awhile so I put in a lot of empty shells with mine last night and then after lights out added two fair size but not huge misbehaving blue leg hermit crabs from the reef tank. Being hopeful it works. Have thought about damsels ......my undy is about 4' so maybe when i upgrade from the 58g and i can add them first. How long have you had them together?

The lemon has been with the undy for about 3 months now. When they were first put together the lemon tail fanned the undy in the face all the time and he could've cared less. They do a nice job adding color, activity, and clean up ability to the tank. Probably going to move everyone to a 65g this summer.

Hey Bo. Thats a beauty Undy. Not sure of the Damsel ID, but looks like one that will be an ******* as it becomes more and more mature. Which makes it a perfect tank mate for the Undy. Bo I just got a new Angel. Wasn't in the market for one as i am moving, but I couldn't resist. Really wanted to wait and get a Conpic, so got a close cousin. It is a blue spot and she is about 3" and was in perfect health and eating like a pig. Better yet the price was amazing so i couldn't resist. I've had him for about 3 days now and it's already eating the large NLS pellets which I always consider a great sign towards a long lived fish.

So Bo what eels are you keeping? What are you planning to keep with that Undy? Have any idea of how aggressive that Undy is yet? Later, T

All I've got right now is the undy and damsels in the 38g and then my 20g nano reef. Probably not going to keep anything with the undy except damsels...IME damsels and other triggers are their only suitable tankmates.

After just having graduated and moving back home I'm pretty limited on what I can keep right now. Hopefully I'll have my own place by summer/fall and I'll be able to setup a large tank. Right now what I want to do is a 180g with a kidako, Hawaiian/Japanese dragon, passer angel, and a lot of damsels. Maybe one other fish too, like a guineafowl puffer. I think that'd be a cool tank.

Looking great man! I love damsels for little splashes of color and activity. Gotta take some pics of my latest tank.....new thread!

Thanks Dan!

I really enjoy the damsels too. The undy literally only uses about 10% of the available tank space. He's not in his cave all day, but he is always within a body length or two of it. Rarely see him swim around the tank except when he's chasing food, so the damsels give you something to see 24/7. They all look really nice under the t5's too.

The Lemon Damsel is meaner than the Undy? I really like your Undy, makes me want to go get a 20L and make an undy set-up.

As a recommendation Bo. If you can get away with getting a slightly larger tank, get a 24" deep tank rather than a 18" of a 180. I believe it is a 220 or so. It will make the eels and any large fish less stressed in a captive environment. I am getting either the 250 or 300 Marineland cube which has great depth. I love the look of display that have good depth. You also can get really creative with your rock. T

Gotcha Tim. Depth is a lot easier to work with than length when planning, so I'll definately do that. Still aways away but I think about a big tank every day. Just going to make it that much sweeter when it becomes a reality...

elecbzerk, thanks for the comments. the lemon damsel is a real punk, thankfully the undy doesn't bother it. undy's arent that fast of growers, and they don't utilize a whole lot of tank space either IME so you can get a small one (1-2" offered all the time online) and enjoy him for a while. danorth has an awesome undy in a 20L.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14133300#post14133300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by myerst2
As a recommendation Bo. If you can get away with getting a slightly larger tank, get a 24" deep tank rather than a 18" of a 180. I believe it is a 220 or so. It will make the eels and any large fish less stressed in a captive environment. I am getting either the 250 or 300 Marineland cube which has great depth. I love the look of display that have good depth. You also can get really creative with your rock. T

Huh? Tim don't you have a 180g? That isn't 72x24x24? 210-220 is just a taller 180, 72x24x30. I have an unusual 210g but it was custom made and is an older tank.

Bo, your undy looks sweet in his cave! I want to get one of these fish sooo bad! I just can't setup another tank right now. I love damsels to for the added benefit of a clean up crew and the color and movement they provide.

some more pics...(please excuse the lack of backgrounds on my tanks...going to fix that this weekend)

terrible fts of my tank, but you get the idea. see the trigger in his cave on the right side

fish123st8.jpg

a little blurry but love the colors

fish129jc5.jpg

my 20g...pretty much unchanged in 5 years (no coral additions, 1 fish addition)

fish121vh5.jpg

maybe one day I'll get a legit camera...probably not though :p

thanks for looking

that's a great cave for the undy, he looks very much at home. :)

nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14143767#post14143767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Recty
I'm not sure on the damsel indentification, but I can say I like your tank!

Thanks Recty...but which tank are you referring to? I assume the undy tank?

Thanks for the compliments Chris! I'll be adding a tiger pistol to my 20g this weekend...hopefully it and my goby will pair up and I can post even more pics :D

Back