Something in the air

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't name names, but I swear there is a new guy/girl on here posting random things just to get a rise out of us- and it's working lol. They know exactly how to get us going, which leads me to think they are just messing around and playing a huge joke:facepalm:

I'm on the fence about it. It seems like there are better places online than here for that.

The only way it "works" is if it were a a regular who's in the mood for breaking stones, but I'm not sure even that really fits the profile.

I think it's more likely on the level 98% of the time (sad as may be) and then 2% of the time, a deliberate little nose-twist gets tossed in.

Who knows, really. :)

can't say I didn't try. its the ignore list's problem now

I thought it was a troll at fist too. but then he purchased someone's tank

I made a comment about this yesterday in regards to getting people going

I suppose someone, someday will be able to get this kid on the right "track"

I do beg to differ...

a Troll is--- One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

that in no way shape for form is his intention.. Some of the comments earlier on to him, had my own reactions really wondering who was friend or foe.. And now has me wondering what might be said to me if I ask a unassuming, STUPID question.. And get a very negative answer to which would raise my hackles and put me on defense. As a adult (we all should be) I have learned to teach, and re-teach, Kids until they understand. You can try to get a kid/young adult to not follow the mistakes you have made.... But, I dont know any kid who understands patience and not instant gratification. That only comes with AGE.. I can only speak for myself and explain my tank start up with him.. (And I have.) But I still am learning.
I am disappointed with some of the comments in some of the threads...
But that is just ME.

He is a real person and this shouldn't be happening some people like something but don't know how to keep it they got to learn somehow

I honestly thought it was someone messing around- honestly. If this is not the case, then IU have done no harm and welcome all new comers (i am new as well!) Just thought someone was trying to get a rise with all of it.

I do suggest you post in the "new to reefing group" for some of your questions, as most around here will be put off real quick. And please, treat the fish just like you would any pet. I learned the hard way as well and fell in love with my fish. Which is why I took my upgrade oppurtinity to move them on to a new home- even though my wife was very upset, but in the end- understood it's about the fish, and not how much we like them. just my two cents.

Mods please shut this one down.

Wow Shawn Marie so protective are you apertures mom? This place is full of crazy people myself included lol take what you can and learn from it and ignore the rest a lot of people will say silly things I've learned to just ignore stuff. Only reason I'm commenting on this thread is cuz I noticed all the new names and first wanted to say hello and second wanted to say omg there seems to be a lot if drama with new comers and old farts on this site. Lets try and help each other out without all the bashing gl

He's not a very young kid unless he lies on Reddit about being a landlord. Anyway I don't think anyone should get dogpiled, but speaking for myself I've got nothing to apologize for. I wish him the best if he's indeed in earnest, but for my part I'm done shouting into the wind until/unless he seems more inclined to be careful with these animals.

Wow Shawn Marie so protective are you apertures mom? This place is full of crazy people myself included lol take what you can and learn from it and ignore the rest a lot of people will say silly things I've learned to just ignore stuff. Only reason I'm commenting on this thread is cuz I noticed all the new names and first wanted to say hello and second wanted to say omg there seems to be a lot if drama with new comers and old farts on this site. Lets try and help each other out without all the bashing gl[

No I am not his mother.. I do have two boys his age and understand his quickness to get it going.. I have been talking to him about the Club and all of the WONDERFUL folks I have met. SO.... trying to TEACH him, patience and time, equal wonderful results with a Reef Tank and LIFE..

Wow Shawn Marie so protective are you apertures mom? This place is full of crazy people myself included lol take what you can and learn from it and ignore the rest a lot of people will say silly things I've learned to just ignore stuff. Only reason I'm commenting on this thread is cuz I noticed all the new names and first wanted to say hello and second wanted to say omg there seems to be a lot if drama with new comers and old farts on this site. Lets try and help each other out without all the bashing gl[

No I am not his mother.. I do have two boys his age and understand his quickness to get it going.. I have been talking to him about the Club and all of the WONDERFUL folks I have met. SO.... trying to TEACH him, patience and time, equal wonderful results with a Reef Tank and LIFE..
+1 I think one of the best parts of this hobby is the club. He obviously needs help. Like I said before if you can't deal then don't. Ignore it. But what is this forum for? Not for arguing or slamming someone but for helping. I think we all just need to take a deep breath and wooosahhh. I really don't care what age he is. As difficult as he may seem to be I think he just has a lot of learning to do. This is a lot of info to take in at once. And not such an easy hobby to get started.

I'm a little surprised about this thread.. It's a little harsh considering that we have all been new and asked a silly question or two.. I'm willing to bet we have all made a lot of mistakes along the way.. Why bash this guy? I've never met him but I've seen some of his posts.. He's impatient but that to me shows that he's really excited.. We all learn in different ways and some of us have to learn the hard way..

~Jon~

Now lets all look at our tanks and smile and remember why we are in the hobby. To stare at glass boxes with funky creatures and corals.

I missed the other thread, now I know what everyone is upset about.

aperature, some of your comments came off really aggressive for someone asking for advice. Name calling never helps.

We have all rushed in a made mistakes, but try to take in advice or at least not ridicule when you get it. While some members can be snippy when asked beginners questions (for which I wish they would just ignore the thread), most members are really good guys who are willing to help strangers in need and who are very generous.

I started out in this hobby 8 years ago and didn't know my head from my ***. I asked tons of stupid questions and didn't follow most of the answers I got. I'm glad I had a few old salts point me in the right direction and help me along the way. I wouldn't still be reefin if it wasn't for them. This hobby is exciting to a newbie. Its easy to get lost in all the info you receive here. Cut the guy some slack. Hes making the same mistakes half of us made when we started reefin but none of you guys want to admit that, right? I forgot how easy it is to put yourself on a pedestal behind your keyboard.

I started out in this hobby 8 years ago and didn't know my head from my ***. I asked tons of stupid questions and didn't follow most of the answers I got. I'm glad I had a few old salts point me in the right direction and help me along the way. I wouldn't still be reefin if it wasn't for them. This hobby is exciting to a newbie. Its easy to get lost in all the info you receive here. Cut the guy some slack. Hes making the same mistakes half of us made when we started reefin but none of you guys want to admit that, right? I forgot how easy it is to put yourself on a pedestal behind your keyboard.

Couldn't have said it better.

How do you take the heat of the new guy turn it onto yourself. Ill tell you my rookie mistake about being excited lol. I had a yellow tang and the fell in love with a purple tang had to have it then I got a coral beauty next I got a maroon clown fish because it was pretty with yellow stripes then I got a rose bubble tip anemone and then added a pair of percula clowns two orange firefish 3 green chromis a cleaner shrimp a fire shrimp a sea apple a hawk fish a melanaurus wrasse a green bar gobie a six line wrasse blue devil damsel. Oh yeah I forgot to mention all this went in my 29 gal tank with an emperor 400 bio wheel filter no skimmer and no power heads. I didn't even know what a power head was. I had no heater either all lit my a 2 bulb power compact. Needless to say everyone knows how this story ended. Ick massive die off tank explosion fish aggression to death etc etc. the point is I think we've all been there though not many will admit it lol. I don't care because in the end I learned from it a lot of people here helped me out and now I have a beautiful at least to me thriving 75 gal. Take the constructive critisim and apply it don't get into text wars over nonsense ignore the crap and apply the knowdledge good luck. Remember go slow and ask for help even if it ****es people off lol

There is something in the air now, everyone's dirty fish laundry
And I'll add to it as well. Had a snowflake eel in a 55 gallon reef. Added a beautiful purple tilefish from pc. Lasted all of 5 minutes maybe before the eel snacked him down. A pricey meal at best. And the eel had his own tank shortly after

Did I say or do something to make them butt hurt / annoyed.
Aperture- I believe we got a long fine yesterday after some clarification and you were open to advice! Excellent! Comments like this though aren't great. I understand why you are on the defensive, but no one is talking like this on here. Most of the "butt hurt" comments are reserved for other less mature forums. Just a piece of advice for "fitting in". There is NOTHING wrong with having a dispute, we just all need to do it while not sounding childish.

All that being said, I don't believe(and this is my opinion) that you are *edit{removed "not" dbl negative oops :( im a dumby* the person in question brought up in this thread... I believe THAT person is alluded to in Muppets "shark" comment, as there is a slightly obsessive shark enthusiast asking ridiculous questions and showing plans of future poor husbandry. I believe that would be the troll that is being spoken of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back