something is killing my shrooms

concretenomad

New member
It started with the hairy colony. I though it was because a piese of cabbage fell right next to them. But now it's moved to my anemone mushrooms and the red mushroom under them is not looking so good. Any thoughts? Everything else in the tank looks fine. green stars, cabbage, unidentified lps, zoos.............grumble, grumble, grumble.
 

concretenomad

New member
they get all gelatinous, and slimy. It looks like their mouth turns inside out almost. they get all stringy and slimy after that and when I decided to get the first ones out cause there was no coming back they smelled like hell....like rotten scallops. they die pretty fast like in a day or two. It's almost like it started in the spot that the cabbage fell and spread outward. can they get necrosis from shroom to shroom if they're too close together? I'm kinda bummed cause that WAS the only thing in my tank that was doing amazingly well, then crash. and I just paid like $40 for the hairy ones like a month ago. :(
 

puter

New member
Two more questions:

1) Did you add anything new to your tank within the last two weeks or so?

2) Are the mushrooms in an area with very low flow?

(I'll see if I can dig out a picture of what I'm thinking of...)

Mark
 

puter

New member
Here's a picture... look anything like this? (I'm not wishing this on you, BTW :( )

mushroomGoo2.jpg


Mark
 

parkavenuereef

New member
Do you have an anemome in the tank? It could be walking around on them killing them. What are your water parameters? No chemicals in there right?
 

puter

New member
Really need the answer to the two questions I asked to know if it is likely the same thing unless you happen to have access to a microscope? Do you see any things that look a little like a web, possibly with some bubbles floating around in or at the surface of your tank?

Take a close look at the disintegrating mush of the mushrooms and see if you can see any tiny white/red dots moving around. If so, you may have "barrel bugs"... very nasty. If you do, all of your anemones and mushrooms are at risk and you will likely lose nearly all of them unless you act fast. The "bugs" are easy to kill with Lugol's (or Betadine in a pinch). Problem is it is very difficult to get them out of the tank so you'd do better treating the colonies and moving them to a separate tank if you have one. I definately wouldn't move anything to anyone else's tank at this point though...

Mark
 

concretenomad

New member
yeah I added stuff.....It's not an issue anymore as I only have 1 shroom left. How would I treat the anemone though? Dip it in a betadine solution? Will they all die off if there's no shrooms left in the tank for a period of time? I'm just wondering how to make the tank safe for the mushrooms again, well, to add more in the future. I was going to move the anemone anyway. I'll look for the dots Thanks for your help.......:(
 
Top