somethings killing my shellfish

mikekr

I've had two peppermint shrimp die and two hitchhiker crab die and i can't put my finger on a cause of death. One of the crabs was torn into three parts and laying on the sand. My tank is about 3 months old. All of my parameters are good - ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all zero. There may be some phosphate or nitrate that I'm not reading because there's a little red cyano on the sand. The rest of the tank is doing well including a midas blenny, several snails, zoanthinds, ricordia, frogspawn, plate and torch corals.

Is there any test I can do or something I can look out for that may have caused the crabs and shrimp to die?

jamest0o0

brittle stars do not eat crabs and like capn said, make sure it is not a molt, if you are positive it isn't you may have a mantis.... try to listen for clicking in your tank... GL

VeralteAquatics

Also what capn said about molts. make sure that the animals are gone for sure. Also a lack of Iodine can kill inverts as well as the other probs... :)

mikekr

DKh is about 10 and as far as molts, I haven't seen the shrimp in a few weeks and the molts I saw before that were white but what I'm thinking is a dead shrimp had color to it. Also, the crab that was torn apart was definately dead

VeralteAquatics

I'd get that down to 4 and no higher, but 5 isnt that bad. I doubt it's a star but still could be a mantis or pistol...or a lack of iodine..

jamest0o0

Iodine should not be a problem as long as you are changing water and the fact that he said it was "torn apart"

VeralteAquatics

but it could have died and then gotton attacked by whatever else in tank.. and iodine isnt replaced that well by water changes. it could only be a fraction of what you need per the animals that require it in the tank..

mikekr

I guess it could be a mantis or brittle star but I haven't seen either in the 3 months I've had my tank.

If iodine's the problem, I don't have a test for it but I've been doing 10% water changes every week so I'm hoping this has kept up the iodine and other minor stuff.

VeralteAquatics

stars dont usually kill shrimp or crabs, but you could have the first super bad star??? :) the mantis you wouldnt have seen nor the pistol...the star you would have..

drillsar

My brittle star ate my peppermint shrimp, they do attack sometimes, I dont know if it would kill a crab though sounds like a mantis to me.

gulfstream

Mantis.

Mantis.

Having a hitchiker crab die and others torn into pieces,
sure sounds like a Mantis shrimp!..............stars don't cause damages like that,especially bristle stars which are none other than opportunistic.....
where did you live rock come from?.that is the question?..
is there any ''CLICK' sounds coming from your tank at all?....
click sounds are those of A mantis shrimp!!....or you might also have other type of a hitchiker crab.
keep us posted.!!
cheers.

VeralteAquatics

it can be caught, but it's hard to do. you could try getting a fish trap and baiting it with a cocktail shrip at night with the lights off. but you'll have to work the door on the trap. red plastic over a flash light helps with this as most fish etc cant see red light...Hope that helps, and listen for a cracking sounds like someone snapping a leather belt..

drillsar

I differ, My brittle star which wasnt green he ate my peppermint srimp and attacked my cucumber and I beleive he hilled my blenny to.

I think in your case you have a mantis

kau_cinta_ku

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12249133#post12249133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VeralteAquatics
I'd get that down to 4 and no higher, but 5 isnt that bad. I doubt it's a star but still could be a mantis or pistol...or a lack of iodine..

10 dkh is good. 4dkh is very low.