Soo I did it...just bought a 36G Bowfront. Questions.

todd2000

Well I'm jumping back in, have been out of the hobby for almost 10 years. Petsmart had a good deal on a 36 Bowfront, and stand for $199. Thinking of going with a Mars Aqua 165 and "the package" from TBS. Other then that not really sure what my plans are. Trying to be lower budget if possible.

So I guess here are my first questions...

1. Do you think the 165 Mars Aqua would be good for this tank? It's 15 W x 29 L x 21 H. Also how high above the tank do you think I should mount it? Probably gonna be mostly Softies and some LPS. Never got into SPS but might if the light would be enough.

2. How much Live Rock do you think? Anyone have a 36 bowfront? How much do you have, got pics?

3. I see now that nitrates and phosphates aren't as bad as we used to think (to an extent I assume.) How does that change recomendations on skimmers refugiums etc..? Do you think I would be good with maybe a modded aquaclear 110 HOB refugium and no skimmer? Planning on maybe 4-5 fish right now.

I'm sure I'll have other questions, will update as I think of them.

1. The Mars Aqua should be plenty even for SPS, but if you did get any SPS I would try and keep them at the top of your aquascape.

2. Bare bottom or sand? This will determine how i answer this for LR.

3. This other than doing weekly or bi-weekly water changes I don't know. I had tank with HOB overflow when i was in highschool and it was a PIA and i'll never get anything other then reef ready tanks. Also without knowing what 4-5 fish you plan on getting hard to answer if you should have a skimmer or fuge. I mean you can put all these on the tank and not worry about anything. BRS did a 40 breeder with all HOB equipment should be a video on their Youtube.

Im running a couple small tanks & TBH a skimmer & a filter sys is necessary if you want to have good oxy at all times in the tank & clean clear water. Im running in tank skimmers & a HOB filter sys. I change the filter sock every 2 days like you might on a sump setup. I just ordered a lot of filter socks so id have at least 10. I don't even bother running charcoal just sock changing and you would be surprised how dirty they get in 2 days. I shut down the HOB filter when feeding for 30 min. then when all food is consumed turn back on, keeps unnecessary food from contaminating. Only issue an in tank skimmer might be is water spray on lighting with no top glass cover, i have custom made glass lids on my tanks so not an issue i don't know what your sys has far as a lid setup so thought you need to know this since you have no sump for a skimmer. Once your tank is stable and ( growing coralline & corals growing & tests are showing declines of minerals, and water changes aren't catching up using reef salts) you can then dose & not have to do so many water changes, just one WC a month to add in the minute rare elements that one cannot dose. Its all i do and all corals and fish are happy as can be. So that is an option that saves work also down the rd.

Back