Sooo many dried organics.....

Heya all!

So I have a established 40 gal breeder with a fair bit of live rock and corrals, im planing on getting my 180 going again, but debating the best way to deal with all the rock for it. I dont want too much of a cycle, because much of the rock in the 40 that is going into the 180 is encrusted with corrals I want to keep. and those rocks are likely gonna be at the base of the aquascape...

The other rocks for the 180 are all dry as a bone, but with lots of algae and other organics dried over them, looking for the best way to strip them of most of their organics, preferably without muriatic acid... Currently debating a bleach soak and then cooking them in a backyard tote for a month or two.

Thoughts?

I’ve only done it once and I bleached it and dried them and it took care of the organics but they still will be new rock. Try to actually cycle them with some bacteria for a couple months. Even doing that it will still take a while when you actually start the tank. The rock needs to get covered with all the things that live on live rock.

I’ve added a piece of rock to my established tank on multiple occasions and it always gets some brown film then some green hair then coraline.

Back