SOS. Air/Gap in Silicone tank seal ,

aggelos

hi there
recently i discovered a quite large air gap in my aquarium , the tank is custom made and is 16 y/old ,150galons
i ve seen that the gap is moving 2millimeters per 4/weeks .
and is exactly in the middle, not touching the water and outside either

can i save it , or the hobby stops here?

Attachments

• photo412508.jpg
    photo412508.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • photo412509.jpg
    photo412509.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • photo412510.jpg
    photo412510.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • photo412511.jpg
    photo412511.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • photo412512.jpg
    photo412512.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I'd say you've made a discovery that gives you the time needed to avert disaster. I don't suppose there's any chance the manufacturer offered anything like a lifetime warranty? Sorry!

I'd probably get a couple ratchet straps and use them like strap clamps to help support the seams while you source a new glass box. When mine decided to add an external waterfall feature, I grabbed a pair of Rubbermaid stock tanks to set up as tank and sump. I ran that for almost 2 years just fine while I budgeted for a new tank.

hi there
recently i discovered a quite large air gap in my aquarium , the tank is custom made and is 16 y/old ,150galons
i ve seen that the gap is moving 2millimeters per 4/weeks .
and is exactly in the middle, not touching the water and outside either

can i save it , or the hobby stops here?

Hmmm, normally I would say don't worry about it, but since you are observing growth in the gap and it's 150 gallons and it's lasted 16yrs, it's heading for a failure. As kfisc said you have been afforded a chance to avert disaster. There is no way to repair that in situ that I am aware of.

I will move to a Cube aquarium ,
until then in order to release some pressure i ll stop the sump and i ll leave display with 60% water

the weird part is that the growth is heading Up not down. and i guess the big bang will happen if it goes to the top dont know

I will move to a Cube aquarium ,
until then in order to release some pressure i ll stop the sump and i ll leave display with 60% water

the weird part is that the growth is heading Up not down. and i guess the big bang will happen if it goes to the top dont know

A frightning prospect is that it will reach the weakest point at any time going forward and just blow. Believe me, we all feel your pain.

I had to shut down a 6year running Marineland 300DD a few years back due to a corner seam acting up. I got everything out, and tank emptied before total failure. Best advise from me is to do this soon.. real soon

Back