sos

scubagreek

just did a 20% water change to my 125 gal. tank, my foxface does not look good and just lost a chromis and clown looks like he is gasping for air. all levels look good but my alk is low 0 to 1.6

definately double check all your readings esp your PH and salinity. Do you have refractometer? Salinity on water may have been low in new water? Did you use RO water? Is there anything we can do to help? we are not that far away. we use baking soda or super buffer to bring up the alk.

When did you mix your SW.? If you just mixed it, the salt may not have fully dissolved and could be irritating their gills. Inversely, if its been mixed for a long time, the dissolved O2 and pH may have dropped which would explain the issues. Unfortunately, since another water change will probably only exacerbate the problem, I would wait it out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14820951#post14820951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by serpentman
if its been mixed for a long time, the dissolved O2 and pH may have dropped which would explain the issues.

How long is long? I usually let my water mix anywhere from 12-24 hrs before using it, I assume long would be a week or two?

12-24 hrs should be sufficient time to allow the salt to completely dissolve. Some mixes dissolve better than others.

I always have mixed SW on hand so I run a circ. pump and an airstone in it to keep the O2 levels up.

I do the same thing as Jeff and throw a bubble stone into my newly made up saltwater and let it oxygenate for atleast 24 hours, longer if I am able.

While we're on the topic, does everybody use an airstone when they're mixing up new saltwater?
I'm having some problem agreeing with dissolved O2 and loss of pH.
I mix my new saltwater with a good pump and some heat for 24 hours at the minimum. After water changes, I shut it down. A day before the next water change, I fire the pump and heater back up.
Doing weekly tests and I haven't seen a problem.

I'm not saying that I'm correct, I just want to see some more in depth opinions.

I have a heater and a pump in mine. I like to always have some made up, in case something unexpected happens. Haven't had any problems doing it this way.

i mix up the water, put heat and an air stone in it, go eat breakfast, read the paper, scrape algae and change water. about 2-3 hours mixing time

Mine sits mixed up for weeks at a time. I emailed IO and they said that it should be fine as long as it's kept circulating (powerhead or other).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14855294#post14855294 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Esquare
Mine sits mixed up for weeks at a time. I emailed IO and they said that it should be fine as long as it's kept circulating (powerhead or other).

Is it in a covered container? If so what kind and how big? If I keep mine around I wouldnt want dust and other stuff getting mixed in.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14855334#post14855334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aerius007
Is it in a covered container? If so what kind and how big? If I keep mine around I wouldnt want dust and other stuff getting mixed in.

32 gal. gray Brute trash can with lid. Bulkheads installed in can for RO/DI reservoir line and water change pump. MJ 1200 on 24/7 for circulation.

Back