Sounds like NanoStream 6045 coming apart

mkhenry

I purchased a Nano Stream 9045 and have been using it for the last two weeks. About a week ago, it started making a racket at startup. You can see the drive assembly and impeller moving in and out while it does this and it sounds like the impeller is hitting the plastic. It will usually stop after a while but it seems to be taking longer and longer before it runs correctly. Sometimes, I have to turn the powerhead on and off a few times to make it quit. I removed the cover and slid out the drive assembly. The shaft is stainless steel and seems very securely attached. Any ideas? My Tunze 6000 on my TS007 kit has been working great for several months. I would like for this powerhead to be as quiet and reliable as it is.

mkhenry

Sounds like NanoStream 6045 coming apart

I thought this was a new version 6045 with all the problems resolved. I just read an older post where Roger asked
"Is this pump a new one with the round cord or the older one with the flat cord? I ask because the designs are slightly different. The cause could be different as a result."
Mine has a flat cord. Just thought I would add all the info I could.

jacmyoung

Premium Member
You still have the older version, which is fine. The newer ones (with round cord) uses a stainless steel washer instead of plastic ones, supposedly less likely to clog up over time.

If your shaft is solidly planted, then try to clean your prop unit and the motor cavity to see if that will help. As long as the prop does not slide during the operation, at the starup the racketing is normal, the pump is trying to self-correct when it runs in reverse.

mkhenry

I understand the racket being normal even though that seems like a poor design and it can't be good for whichever part is making the banging noise. My Nano has gotten now to where it will make this noise during operation. It has done this twice now while the pumps had been continuously running for almost 12 hours. The last time, it made the racket for 20 minutes before I finally turned the power on and off a couple of times to make it quit. It this "normal" also?

Buddyboy

I have a 6025 that has just recently started to become quite noisy. Curiously, the metal shaft inside the unit doesn't seem to be loose (yet?). It's too bad. I love the flow, but the thing is now louder than my AquaC Remora skimmer! Maybe i'll try a Koralia next time???

Bud

jacmyoung

Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9974246#post9974246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Buddyboy
I have a 6025 that has just recently started to become quite noisy. Curiously, the metal shaft inside the unit doesn't seem to be loose (yet?). It's too bad. I love the flow, but the thing is now louder than my AquaC Remora skimmer! Maybe i'll try a Koralia next time???

Bud

If your 6025 is the older version, it is likely the shaft is on its way out, it takes a while for it to be totally loose, yet only a very slightly off centered shaft can cause a lot of noise.

jacmyoung

Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9976334#post9976334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mkhenry
You would think that someone in this forum that supports this product would reply.

In your case simply PM Roger for a replacement. I have heard of no reasonable (sometimes even unreasonable) request being turned down yet.

The racketing at startup however is part of the AC prop pump's self-correction behavior, you will not find any other similar pumps that different.

Manaz

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9976334#post9976334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mkhenry
You would think that someone in this forum that supports this product would reply.

As much as Roger does post here an aweful lot, and is very helpful, I don't think he's actually obligated to do so.

Your best bet would be to contact the store you bought it from, or to make contact with Tunze USA through official channels (I expect available on their website).

Buddyboy

Jac,

Yeah, it's one of the original nanostreams. I'll take a look at it the next time I clean it to see if the shaft is loose. I'm in Canada, so i'm not sure who I would contact regarding warranties, etc.

Saldarya

In Memoriam

Its the weekend. Good Lord, give him until at least 9:01 Monday morning.....