soupy's reef at 3 years

SoupySteve

Reefer Dadness
someday, i plan to get a 6ft tank, so i'll only need to buy another pendant instead of a whole new light system. i also like how i can move the lights completely out of the way.
i just got the lights a week ago - i had 2X65W 50/50 PC lighting. these are 150w hqi.
40073Soupy_s_Reef_3yrs__almost_.JPG

this is my first attempt at keeping mangroves, but i will be super happy when/if i see substancial growth from them.
40073mangroves.JPG

everyone seems happy
40073HQI_heaven.JPG

40073happiness_with_halides.JPG

can you buy actinic pendants? i kinda miss the blueish color from the actinics...

anyone have suggestions for moonlights?

reefD

window placement will always obscure color of tank. its natural but not tropical..thus brownish tint/and corals...and algae!

SoupySteve

Reefer Dadness
i painted the back of the display black.
the shades are up just cause i wanted to show off the deck :D
10k is white. 20k is blue. these are 10k. i think when i have to replace them, i will try something in between. any opinions?
the cyano outbreak is RECENT (when i upgraded lighting) i've been doing DAILY 5 gallon h20 changes to try to combat it. next step would be to shorten photoperiod, i guess. i feed every three days or so.

reefD

yes 10000k are more white but will brng out more color....i didnt read that you have no actinics..i would add a flourence for that! sorry i typed it wrong ....i would add a strip of any kind.......also watch for too much light hours with it near a window! reduce halide if more than 12 hours of daylight where you live and at this window.

reefD

water changes could be culprit ..test water for phosphates....could be feeding the algea!

fittdog8848

well a couple reefers I know have tried 12 and 14 (round socket). I use 10 with actinic for blue. I really liked the 12K for tanks without the blue suppl.

I can't speak to much HQI stuff. If it is anything like round socket MH each manufactures bulb looks a little different.

I would maybe post a link in the lighting forum and see if someone can help you there.

fittdog8848

I agree with reefd on the lighting and window. I had trouble with a tank in front of window and had to move it (not saying your tank does not look good cause it does)

SoupySteve

Reefer Dadness
I moved this tank here to keep it from having the light issues... the blinds are down all the time or else my cats are in the windows like moths to a flame:bum:
when the tank was on another wall in the same room i got issues - as we left the blinds up (the windows face north). so, i figure that by painting the back of the display black, having the blinds down 90% or more of the time and the tank being 2.5' away from the window makes me think the cyano is just the new lighting. my rodi is a 4 stage unit. everything BUT the DI has been changed in the last two months.
the hair algae has decreased down to a 1/10th of it's size in just 3 days though!
the bulbs for these are the double ended tpe - i've found a supplier for 10, 12.5, 14, 15, and 20K bulbs - they are PRICEY! so if anyone has had experiences with this, gimme a holla!