South Fla Heat

tony varrell

I am in the process of upgrading my system from a 150 SPS to a 300. The biggest unresolved issue i have is getting the heat from the chiller and lighting exhausted outside. My system is in the family room. has anyone successfully kept their chiller's condensing unit outside? What brand is best suited for being kept outside also I am looking for a good idea to exhaust the MH lighting heat outside..

This is my 150 that i will be upgrading if you have not seen it. I have posted it on other RC fourms. This is my first post on this fourm.

algea001.jpg

I have thought about this alot. I'm sure the condensing unit can be installed outside but I have yet to see a "split" design chiller manufactured for this purpose. The only alternative I have thought of was to get a good A/C guy to split a standard chiller. Just my thoughts... I will be tagging along to see what is available.

EJ

they do make split systems.

i however have an all in one 1/4 hp on my tank, thats butt against the wall. i cut a hole in between 2 studs in the wall and i have it going into my attic.
thats an option if you can get that to work.

theres a few members that keep there units outside also. will cost you more and wont run as efficient, but it is possible.

Nice tank. I know a few members do have their chillers outside, usually in a little hutch. You must also make sure to ensure that the air intake on the chillers cannot have a bag or anything blown against it, as I've heard that it could foul the airflow and cause the chiller to stop working or break.

Also I've seen some of the Luminarc reflectors have an option for an exhaust vent to vent the air from the halides to the outside. I've seen the kits for sale online at vendors.

Tony, Very nice tank, I recently made a similar move with my tank. I have my chiller outside for a few years now, it has always been been covered from the rain but open otherwise.
My lights will be vented outside by the end of the month, I am only waiting for a friend to drill the 4 1/2" hole I need to make in a concrete wall.
You are welcome to ask questions or even come see what I did to get ideas. I will be glad to help you.

MIne are outside 2 of them plummed into the wall and covered by an overhang and hutch.

As far as the MH heat they are vented into my attic.

Thanks for the comments.

Rogger, was your 375 build locally? If so I would like to know who built it. pictures form your exhaust project would be appreicated.

Hey I agree w Illal, that is one wicked tank, I love the fish selections. You should post a few more pics. I hope you get your chiller figured out.

U guys are missing the fish collection on that tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE"S A JOC ANGEL IN THERE!( aside from a pair of rhomboids-lineatus and the red sea regal PAIR!!!!!!!!!!!/majestic.

I miss my angels- arrrrgh fin rot!

excellent tank

here's a few more pictures. Sorry my photography is so bad. But that is a hobby in itself that I don't have time for right now.

ATBMedimumSkimmer018.jpg

ATBMedimumSkimmer002.jpg

elegence008-1.jpg

algea012.jpg

ATBMedimumSkimmer020.jpg

Oh that is my best friend Ozzy. He would be jealous if not included. Sorry

ATBMedimumSkimmer012.jpg

You guys that are venting the heat inside your attic. Doesn't that create humidity and possibly mildew problems inside the attic?

I'm trying to deal with the heat in my garage as we speak. In the past I used to leave the door going into the garage from the house open, but FPL bills have dramatically increased and I'm trying to find a better way to keep it cool.

A split system or window a/c in my house will not work because of association rules.

I ended buying a a power vent from HD that is used to remove humidity from basements and such and just finished intalling in my garage door and I'll see how that plays out.

djfrankie

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12259954#post12259954 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tony varrell
Thanks for the comments.

Rogger, was your 375 build locally? If so I would like to know who built it. pictures form your exhaust project would be appreicated.
Yes, The tank was done by Bob at Exotic aquatics, I will post update pics of the light rack heat exhaust when I finish it, in the meantime this my chiller and water change area outside my house.

web.jpg
web.jpg

Back