southdown sand

Wow that goes back quite a ways.....I have not seen any, and I searched pretty hard about 5 years ago. FWIW, petsmart sometimes has Caribsea at not so bad prices with free shipping, plus you can find $5 off coupons.

Some sand is still sold at HD and Lowes that is white and at least partially aragonite, though not nearly as smooth as southdown was.

I may have the last 50lb bag in existence in my garage. I haven't seen it in many years, so its probably a valuable antique. I'll happily trade it for a new Apex controller. Very happily.

Dave

I may have the last 50lb bag in existence in my garage. I haven't seen it in many years, so its probably a valuable antique. I'll happily trade it for a new Apex controller. Very happily.

Dave

I have several bags in my garage; the Southdown version that was sold at Sears. I thought I was the only one. My own "Reef Tank Preppers" deal. It'll go into a bigger build that's coming after we move....

Dave

:lol:

I can picture 25 years from now a stupid bag of southdown on a reefers shelf....

I tried all over south florida. All I could find was sakrete and pool sand.... I read and read and came across a thread saying LFS's and other hobbyists bought pallets of the stuff to flip it. Home Depot pulled it off their shelves.

haha...I have about 6 or 7 bags but not the 14 + refugium I need to redo my tank. Thanks for the tip on Petsmart.

What is everyone else using for sandbeds these days? I am pretty much DSB and skimmerless...

I used a mix of Tropic Eden Reeflakes and mini Reeflakes, it is much nicer than Southdown, unless you like the old Southdown Milkshake. I could never get that stuff clean and just death wi the milkshake. I have used a lot of different sands over the years, nothing is as clean as the Tropic Eden.

+1 for Tropic Eden..I used reef flakes in my recent tank setup very bright white with flecks of other color.

+1 for Tropic Eden..I used reef flakes in my recent tank setup very bright white with flecks of other color.

It's like $40 a bag - a DSB in a 180 costs more than my lights do. I remember loading up my trusty Mitsubishi eclipse with about 700lbs of sand for less than a hundred bucks. And wishing I owned a pickup truck.

Dave

A 30 lb bag goes farther when you aren't rinsing a fourth of it down the drain. I used 60 lbs in my 40x40 tank.

Google Steven Pro. He bought a tractor trailer supply of Southdown sand back in the day. A few years ago he was coming to Columbus to talk at my local club and he brought me over 3 5gallon buckets of the stuff. Not sure where your at but he's in PA. I believe he has a store or something and his name should come up on google w a contact info.
Good luck
Corey

I should add that was when first put in the tank, currently the 6100's move around the tank as they please.

Keep in mind that rock can also impact how much depth you get, my rock is directly on the bottom with the sand around it, if you lay the sand first and rock on top the sand depth will be less. It is also a good idea to buy a bag more than you will need to replace any that is siphoned out when you clean the sand bed.

I have a pallet and a half of Southdown that I stockpiled lot of years, pounds and grey hairs ago. It was on clearance in the midwest for $1.50, or something, a bag. When we moved, the movers laughed at me for moving 80 bags of sand, but they did it. When I told them it was like gold, they kinda got it. I will never sell it and will continue to move it.

Back