spawning clownfish: its really not that cool

reefpod

I have a false and a false black. They started laying eggs recently. The first time it was kind of neat but now they just keep doing it over and over again and the male just tends to the eggs all of the time and never really comes out to swim anymore. Do they eventually give up on this?

They will when the nest hatches and then the male will resume his normal role--but you know this. If you want to disrupt the egg laying process simply move some rocks around --especially the rock where the nest usually is--and it'll upset the balance for a few months! Maybe even relocate the tank or move somewhere and then they will take a respite but will be back at it eventually. They are finicky but when they get started they usually don't stop...there's always the pill, patch or condomns....:smokin:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6966498#post6966498 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 6-line
If you want to disrupt the egg laying process simply move some rocks around --especially the rock where the nest usually is--and it'll upset the balance for a few months!

They lay them on the glass on the side of the aquarium.

Hmmm...then any type of surrounding disruption will do--do they inhabit an anemone or other type of coral? If it's a coral then move it a little or move the rocks nearby--it might be enough to irritate them so they will take a break...

If you can get them to lay on a piece of tile, after the eggs are layed remove the tile remove the eggs and replace it. They won;t lay again for awhile. then do it again.

The clowns in the display tank where i work just about every two weeks and no sucess. (granted they are in a heavily fish stocked 240 so they probably just are feeding the fish some more) but anyway thats all they do, eat and well you know.

Those are good ideas the patch LOL, that one works...

If you move stuff around, that will disturb them but they will go back at it in 1 to 6 months. If you use the tile and remove it( ship it to me :) ) they will spawn in the previous spot.

You can always get a new pair and sell those to me ;-)

Ed

Back