Spiral shaped pink worm?!?!?!

Snailpowered

I saw a worm in my tank that propelled its self by making a corkscrew shape with its body. It was a light pink in color and about a inch long. I was just wondering if anyone could ID this guy so i can know if it is good or bad for the tank. thanks for your time.

Snailpowered

I just looked up a xmas tree worm and that is deffinatly not it. Its more shaped like a tape worm, he came to settle on the sand and looked similar to a tape work or something like that but much smaller. and like i said above it moves though the water by twisting his body into a corkscrew and moves though the water twisting. Picture this if you take a corkscrew hold one end with your fingers and twist it... thats exactly what it looked like

Grins

Without a photo or a better description we're not going to be be able to give you much of an answer. It could even be a bristleworm.

Snailpowered

it sounds like it but the color was alot lighter but mabe it was just a juvinial worm. So how bad are these worms in my tank?

kuoka

Premium Member
If it's a glycera, it's part of the bristleworm family. Most bristleworms are fine for our tanks. They feed on detritus in the sand or are scavengers.