sps 12g Nano Cube HINTS needed

Gwiley

If anyone out there has any tips or helpful knowledge of any kind please help me out. I am trying to slowly go all SPS in my 12 gallon JBJ nano cube. I need some advice on flow, placement, lighting, and supplements. really anything that will help me get started!

pisces4u

SPS in a 12 AIO can be tough as it's much harder to maintain stability.

You're probably going to need a 70w or 150w MH, but that will cause large temperature fluctuations unless you have a strong fan or chiller.

You're going to want at least a k1 for flow along with the return.

Modding one of the rear chambers into a refugium with caulerpa or chaeto or mangroves would be a good idea to keep nitrates and phosphates under control.

Do not overstock on livestock! Since pristine water conditions are key for SPS, I would not pur more than one very small fish in that 12g, say a small goby.

Water changes weeky are key also in nano systems. I would suggest 2.5 gallons changed out every 7 days after your tank is cycled.

Be careful what substrate you choose, if any. You will need good flow for SPS and in the confinement of a 12g, a fine sand will be whipped around.

Get good test kits and test several times a week after your cycle. I would wait 2-3 months minimum before adding SPS just to ensure you aren't experiencing swings in PH or Alk that could kill SPS.

It can be done, but it won't be the easiest SPS system to try.

tskinner

I run a 5.5 Gal so it can be done but it does require alot of time and patience.

- I run a 70 Watt Sunpod on my 5.5 so I would lean towards a 150, however the 70w would get the job done

-I run a K Nano and a AC70(on max flow) in my tank and in the back I have a fuge with cheato/carbon, etc....

-I don't have any fish so its alittle easier to keep nitrates/phos down. All I have is a basic CUC along with a cleaner shrimp. I did keep a yellow clown goby once but he was a nipper so he had to go.

-I do weekly water chances of around 1 gallon. The hardest part for me was dialing in my dosage to maintain cal/alk. I dose B-Ionic 2 part daily (1.5ml of each) to maintain an alk of 8.5-9 and ca at 430

-I do have sand and it is pretty fine but that will be your decision. My got whipped around at the start but now its pretty much settled in

So basically everything that was said above. Just take your time. It won't be easy. Do you have any previous experience from SPS?

Gwiley

I guess I should have told you guys that I have already had this tank set up for about 2 years. I currently have a 70w 20k HQI with 2 18w 50/50 PC for lighting. I have the K nano and a maxi jet 400 for the return.

I'm really needing more specific instructions. i.e. how to properly dose alk/cal, and what the best dosing agents are. I also need to know if I have sufficient flow.

As far as my water parameters go, I everything checks out great. I currently have a majority of LPS corals and I am constantly having to frag them on a three month basis.

Last edited:

Gwiley

I guess I should have told you guys that I have already had this tank set up for about 2 years. I currently have a 70w 20k HQI with 2 18w 50/50 PC for lighting. I have the K nano and a maxi jet 400 for the return.

I'm really needing more specific instructions. i.e. how to properly dose alk/cal, and what the best dosing agents are. I also need to know if I have sufficient flow.

As far as my water parameters go, I everything checks out great. I currently have a majority of LPS corals and I am constantly having to frag them on a three month basis...

Last edited:

Lunchbucket

Premium Member
I've run nano's for years and find little to no trouble doing SPS in them. My biggest fight was keeping alk and ca up. I had to have a calcium reactor on my 20H back in 2003. I run a Ca Rx on my 24 cube right now. Two radio shack fans keep my temps stable even with 1x400w MH on there. Autotop off was my wost enemy but fixed that.

Lunchbucket

tastingSalty

I have sps in my nano and dont have too many troubles. I did have trouble with color with my T5 setup, but I have a 150w MH up there now and they are doing good.

spsfarmer09

at the fish store i work at we have a sps aquapod, we took the stock bulbs out and mounted LED's in. it grows sps awesome.

Crippler

I drip Brightwell's kalk daily on my 10g with SPS and it keeps up so far with Ca demand and with keeping my Alk stable at 9-10 dKh through the week. I use a AC110 HOB to house the heater, carbon/GFO media and a fuge. But lately I can't keep chaeto alive and growing in there anymore. Nutrients in the tank are too low now. So I'm thinking about trying a small skimmer in there. I also just added a MP10 to the tank about 1.5 wks ago. The SPS are loving it. The little Hydor nano I had just couldn't keep up with the growing SPS.

I do 20% water changes weekly and I try and make sure the alk of my new water is where my tank is to help prevent a swing. I'm using TM Pro and it's pretty darn consistent in the parameter dept, so that helps.