SPS and algae removal


New member
OK, I made another rookie mistake! I thought it would be good to have my vrtec blow right onto my stylopora.......... well, I hadn't cleaned the outside (orinside) of the vortec in some time and it shot little, very tiny, pieces of algae all over the stylo. Using a toothbrush, I was able to get all off except the pieces that got deep between the two fingers. Does anyone have a good way to get that off? I was almost thinking maybe there was a dip that I c ould put the coral in that would kill any algae that might take hold and grow while being 100% safe for the coral. Thx.

P.S. At Tony's house, I saw his gorgeous 450 and one of the first things hesaid was not to point flow directly at a close SPS!!!! Live and learn - I just hoppe that will be true of my stylo.


ReefKeeping Mag staff
Premium Member
I'd blow of what I could with a turkey baster and then use tweezers with the coral in the water so the algae fans out and can be grabbed. Careful with the tootbrush you could harm some tissue


New member
I found once you have algae growing on the dead spot of your corals, only the hermit crabs and small snails could clean it.



Active member
If you are talking about getting algae that was blown into the coral out of the branches. You should pick up some hemostatic forceps from a medical supply store. That are a great thing to have in a reef tank. The forceps will allow you to easily get into the branches and remove anything that gets in there.