SPS and Pyramid Butterflies..

Wd40

Got a question for you guys with the pyramid butterflies..
I understood they were reef safe...
I bought 2 of them on wednesday and one of them is picking the hell out of my acans, millis, red planet, everything!!!
I took him out quick!
Is this normal.. Thanks

I have 3 of them in my tank. And, they do pick on all SPS, finished up all the expensive zoas. So, no they are not "that" reef safe in my book.

They are planktivore, they should pick at coral... but that doesn't mean they will not. I have a pair that doesn't pick at any corals. I feed them 6 time a day which might have something to do with it.

Those of you that have them eating corals, how often do you feed? My pyramid pair was picking at my sps until I started feeding them more and now they don't do it. Atleast, I haven't seen them do it for the past few weeks. Being planktivores they need lots of food throughout the day, much like anthias. They get by on less, but will eventually start sampling other things, like corals.

I have 4 in my tank with no issues but I also feed pellets 5 times a day via auto-feeders.

I've had one for about 3 months with no issues. I'm like Greg and feed pretty regularly though. I like to keep my babies fat and happy!

By the way, I'll be adding a mated pair this week if all goes well to bring the total to three Pyramids!

Those of you that have them eating corals, how often do you feed? My pyramid pair was picking at my sps until I started feeding them more and now they don't do it. Atleast, I haven't seen them do it for the past few weeks. Being planktivores they need lots of food throughout the day, much like anthias. They get by on less, but will eventually start sampling other things, like corals.

4 times a day. twice flake, twice Arcti-Pods.

hmmm.. ok sounds good ill give it a try..
i have 2
one who eats and one who doesnt eat coral
i feed 2 times a day and not that heavy.
Have a question though, when u feed with a automatic feeder do you have your pumps turn off or your fish eat with the current???
thanx

I have a pair of Pyramids and a trio of Burgess in my tank. The burgess do pick here and there but I have never seen the pyramids touch any corals.

They are pigs and you must feed them. Mine eat seaweed sheets like the tangs, all pellets, flake, Rods, PE mysis and all other ON frozens!!!

They still pick at my sps and acans but no damage.

3 in a 175...

2mow4r7.jpg

kool, i just bought another one to see what happens and nothing so far..
Im just gonna buy a auto feeder and feed them like crazy

I'm surprised so many people report pyramids picking at SPS...I've always heard that they won't touch a thing.

I have two as well and they have not touched a thing. They are fed once per day with a heavy feeding of formula 1 and 2, and Mysid shrimp. Every other day they get Formula 1 and 2 pellets. Once per week the seaweed sheets red and green w/ garlic.
These guys ate like hogs at the LFS from day one. Two weeks later when I bought them they ate within hours of being placed in my tank.
Just like most other fish. Some will nip others won't. I have a flame angle that used to nip at my pocilliporas and when I started to feed more it stopped and supplements itself on detritus.

hmmm, i have 10 (yes ten) Pyramid, 1 Kleinii and they don't do any damage to my corals. I feed 3 x pellets and 1 big meal of mix frozen food consist of Jumbo mysis, Rod food 3 different kind, Hikari mysis, Zoocon and selcon with lots of garlic.

I am adding 3 this weekend but I am not worried about picking. I have a Regal as well as a Multi-barred Angel and they pick every now and then but don't do any damage.

Back