Sps and stn

CuzzA:

Post 18 is very interesting. Never heard of bacteria mentioned as being a cause or an antibiotic a remedy. I hope you can find the study. I did some searching but came up with nothing. If this turns out to be true, I would think it would be a great thing for the SPS part of the hobby.

If it is effective I wonder if putting a "cured" piece back into the display would mean it would just decline again? Is the antibiotic you mentioned used for use on humans and therefore available by LEDs dilution only? Any more info?

Another potential issue with antibiotic treatment is that you would have to rip out potentially large colonies that have encrusted on the rock. I could see that being a major PITA, especially when you try to re-mount.

Another potential issue with antibiotic treatment is that you would have to rip out potentially large colonies that have encrusted on the rock. I could see that being a major PITA, especially when you try to re-mount.

Well I'd rather rip them out while they're still alive rather than rip them out dead. ;)

True. Still not ideal though. Perhaps if it is a bacterial issue introduced by new additions, a prophylactic QT and antibiotic bath would go a long way.

I think you're right. Coral QT may just have to become standard practice. Perhaps a Bayer dip upon arrival. Followed up by a second dip 2 weeks later for hatched eggs and then a 6 day antibiotic treatment before transferring to the DT.

The questions is can the coral survive a regiment like this and how would other more sensitive corals react. Also, I assume every coral regardless of species would need to be dipped to prevent possible introduction of harmful bacteria.

And then you have to wonder can the bacteria be present on macro algae added to a refugium, etc, etc. Also, can this bacteria go dormant? I pose this question because I use Red Sea salt mix which is harvested from the ocean.

Lots of questions and perhaps it's simply impossible to keep it out of our tanks and the focus needs to be more on automation and monitoring of parameters to prevent "swings" which clearly weaken the coral and allow for the bacteria to infect it.

My apologies. Apparenetly that link is dead. Try this. http://www.slideshare.net/cuzza/white-band-antibiotic-treatment-for-corals

<IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid; MAX-WIDTH: 100%; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px; BORDER-TOP: #ccc 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ccc 1px solid" height=510 marginHeight=0 src="//www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/46293242" frameBorder=0 width=1200 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no allowfullscreen> </IFRAME>

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427336692.258547.jpg
I know you guys know what it looks like but here's the Acro which is on the way out.

I'm going to up my feelings to more fish food and start with small amount of reef roids every night.

Perhaps if it is a bacterial issue introduced by new additions, a prophylactic QT and antibiotic bath would go a long way.

I think it's probably a good idea to QT new corals anyhow. Would be interesting to see if that helps, or if the bacteria are in the tank already and it's just a matter of the right opportunity.

Sps and stn

I know you guys know what it looks like but here's the Acro which is on the way out.

I'm going to up my feelings to more fish food and start with small amount of reef roids every night.

Fragging it will likely be the only chance to save it. Or ampicillin. :)

Researching it on google shows the White Band Disease only effects the Acro family.. I've lost more than just Acros.

White band, white syndrome is still necrosis. So given that we now know it's a bacterial infection my guess is it's all the same and isn't acro specific.

Ok. Came home from work and the entire Acro is gone. Still stn? Or rtn? Or doesn't matter? Should I be looking to do anything else with the small amount of Sps i have left?

Can anyone offer details on how to QT and treat new acros, or treat affected specimims, with Ampicillin? I imagine you need to go to an MD or a veterinarian to obtain this? Would antibiotics made for aquatic use domthe job? Does it come in liquid form or only in tablets?

Ok. Came home from work and the entire Acro is gone. Still stn? Or rtn? Or doesn't matter? Should I be looking to do anything else with the small amount of Sps i have left?

bummer to hear that. that was pretty quick on the collapse. how long has he STN been going on?

i have been able to bring some corals suffering from STN back by feeding more, but they had only been STN'ing for only a couple of weeks. these STN's were usually occurring at the basses.

were your corals STN'ing at the basses?

G~

Back