SPS corals going down hill (lots of pics)

thanks,

I was also gonna pick up a copper test kit tommrow when I get some chemipure. not sure how copper could get in the tank but anything can happen I guess.

I would have someone else test your water with different kits. Very well could be you got a bad test kit or one went bad.

Another thing is I might look at contamination from something maybe even through the air... Try some polyfilters they are about the best thing to remove contaminates esp cooper. They even turn different colors to help you know what it might be.

Dave

When using a Granular Ferric/Ferrous Oxide you must monitor alkalinity very closley. Your test at 10 was an instance. I would be willing to bet you caused ALK Swings with it. When you first start using it ALK will plummet and you must adjust appropriately. It levels off over time, but initially you must be vigiliant. This is my belief as to what happened to your corals.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12536818#post12536818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shred5
I would have someone else test your water with different kits. Very well could be you got a bad test kit or one went bad.

Another thing is I might look at contamination from something maybe even through the air... Try some polyfilters they are about the best thing to remove contaminates esp cooper. They even turn different colors to help you know what it might be.

Dave

Would be redundant....GFO removes heavy metals itself.

Yes, I had similar, though not as bad, problems in my tank recently. Turned out it was my refractometer, when calibrated with RO/DI and distilled, was reading 1026.4 when the tank was only 1022. The corals will seem ok (but not thriving), then a fluctuation in alk comes along, and pushes them over the edge.

If it were me, I'd do the following:
1. Get the Pinpoint calibration fluid for my refractometer and confirm calibration. It wouldn't hurt to buy a high-end swing arm as a back up, secondary source.
2. Do 3 or 4 15% water changes in a row, spacing them out every other day.
3. Run carbon in the sump
4. Run poly filters in the sump.
5. Test Alk twice a day, morning and evening, and try to get it rock solid and stable.
6. Have patience, wait it out, and prepare yourself for some of those corals dying anyway.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12537923#post12537923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps
Would be redundant....GFO removes heavy metals itself.

Does it remove soap or some other type of contaminates that could be air born? Contaminates are not only heavy metals, They can be many types of poisons that were sprayed in the air like pesticides. Which heavy metals does Granular Ferric Oxide remove?

Does it remove rust ? :)

Dave

had a similiiar problem when a heater that I had finally died. check that and any other equipment that might have failed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12536818#post12536818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shred5

Dave

I have tested my alk. with 2 diff. salifert test kits and also a API test kit. also I have tested my cal. with salifert and API. both have come out the same.

I am on my way to get polyfilters and chemipure to put in the sump.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12537888#post12537888 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps
When using a Granular Ferric/Ferrous Oxide you must monitor alkalinity very closley. Your test at 10 was an instance. I would be willing to bet you caused ALK Swings with it. When you first start using it ALK will plummet and you must adjust appropriately. It levels off over time, but initially you must be vigiliant. This is my belief as to what happened to your corals.

I check my alk. once a week, and have been using GFO (pura phoslock) for over 2 years and everytime I test my alk. it it either between 9-10 dkh.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12537979#post12537979 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CW from the OC
Yes, I had similar, though not as bad, problems in my tank recently. Turned out it was my refractometer, when calibrated with RO/DI and distilled, was reading 1026.4 when the tank was only 1022. The corals will seem ok (but not thriving), then a fluctuation in alk comes along, and pushes them over the edge.

If it were me, I'd do the following:
1. Get the Pinpoint calibration fluid for my refractometer and confirm calibration. It wouldn't hurt to buy a high-end swing arm as a back up, secondary source.
2. Do 3 or 4 15% water changes in a row, spacing them out every other day.
3. Run carbon in the sump
4. Run poly filters in the sump.
5. Test Alk twice a day, morning and evening, and try to get it rock solid and stable.
6. Have patience, wait it out, and prepare yourself for some of those corals dying anyway.

1. I do use the pinpoint calibration fluid and as I stated my refractometer was off and my tanks sg. is at 1.022 rather than the 1.0264 like I had thought so I am slowly raising that back up using SW for my top off.
2. I did a 15 gal. water change sun. but will do another tonight.
3. I always run carbon in a reactor and change it out monthly.
4. I am getting polyfilters here in a little bit.
5. alk. I test once a week, however I have been testing it alot more lately using 2 diff. salifert kits and a API test kit and my alk. is always between 9-10 DKH.
6. that is the worse part about all this but I guess it does happen.

does all that seem like where I need to be so far?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12538382#post12538382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whalehead9
had a similiiar problem when a heater that I had finally died. check that and any other equipment that might have failed.

checked all my euipment and everything is in working order.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12538382#post12538382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seattownreefer
has your temperature been stable?

temp. is a good question. I forgot to mention that my temp usually stays between 79-80 with my ranco temp controller, however 1 day I was cleaning some equipment and turned off the fan and temp got to 83 before I noticed it. that was 1 week ago. but the corals were looking bad before that also.

TY all very much for the help so far. I am greatly thankful.

That you have different species of corals being killed off at the same rate and starting at the same time means it's something external like an equipment malfunction or chemical. But since you can't find anything obviously wrong probably means it's smaller than that. I would be looking very close inside the display and sump to see if I might have knocked a screw or nut or washer, maybe even a coin into the system somewhere. Just my 2 cents.

Stray voltage...ask Travis...alot of what you have on Monti he had a while ago. Also large amounts of phos loc could cause RTN in my opionion...and I think Travis would say the same.

Not a bug deal...you got most from me...so not sure...

Grant

How old is your tank?
IMO, your corals don't look quite healthy in the beginning.
Stress is the only thing I can think of.
It is not the disease but it can spread one to another.
If I were you, I will take out all the bad one.
And frag all the still looking good corals.

Looks like the same thing I have been struggling with for a while (STN.) I finally had enough and removed all corals from my tank. I will wait 30 days then add some trial frags and see what happens.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12538733#post12538733 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
1. I do use the pinpoint calibration fluid and as I stated my refractometer was off and my tanks sg. is at 1.022 rather than the 1.0264 like I had thought so I am slowly raising that back up using SW for my top off.
2. I did a 15 gal. water change sun. but will do another tonight.
3. I always run carbon in a reactor and change it out monthly.
4. I am getting polyfilters here in a little bit.
5. alk. I test once a week, however I have been testing it alot more lately using 2 diff. salifert kits and a API test kit and my alk. is always between 9-10 DKH.
6. that is the worse part about all this but I guess it does happen.

does all that seem like where I need to be so far?

Yeah, it sounds like you are on it. Only thing I'd add is I raised my SG over 2 days. That is a bit aggressive, most people would say do it over 3,4 days, even a week.

I had a similar issue, it was electricity in the tank, the wire on one of my heaters got exposed, and was putting electricity in the tank, you could only see it if you wiggled the wire a bit.... I finally figured it out when when I zapp'd myself one day.

Back