SPS Issues w/Pictures

reefrf

reefrf
Sorry for the double post, I also posted this into Reef Discussions. I hoping I get get additional help here.

So...a couple of weeks ago I had a Alkalinity spike that I think caused some of the sps to bleach. That problem has now been corrected. But some of sps seem to be slightly worsening (I think). I'm not really sure. Please tell me what you think & how I should react to this. If the Alk is better now, wouldn't the problem stop?

Blue Chalice-Notice the whitening at the base of the rock
P1010013-2.jpg

P1010019-1.jpg

P1010010-3.jpg

I bet it was from your alk spike. Have you changed Phos recentley....if you had old media in there that was exhauseted and if you just put fresh media in there that could have lowered phos too quickley...maybe that and the alk. Alk will do it everytime though.

What was the spike and how long did you take to correct it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15447463#post15447463 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JAustin
I bet it was from your alk spike. Have you changed Phos recentley....if you had old media in there that was exhauseted and if you just put fresh media in there that could have lowered phos too quickley...maybe that and the alk. Alk will do it everytime though.

What was the spike and how long did you take to correct it.

Hi,
Thanks for your comments. I have not changed the Phosphate lately, maybe 2-3 months ago. I usually like to keep my Alk around 9-10dkh but I found it around 12-13 & lasted probably approx 1 week.

What should I do about the corals? Will it get worse or will it improve if the problem has been corrected?

Ron

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15447536#post15447536 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JAustin
give them a iodine dip or frag.

So...just to be clear. Do one or the other but not both?

it's up to you, sometimes the iodine can stop the RTN. If not you'll need to frag them about 1/2 and inch from the RTN. Keey your eye on the chalice.

I would frag and then dip.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15447592#post15447592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JAustin
it's up to you, sometimes the iodine can stop the RTN. If not you'll need to frag them about 1/2 and inch from the RTN. Keey your eye on the chalice.

I would frag and then dip.

Thanks. One more question. What's the ratio on a proper Iodine water bath. I have Iodide & Iodine (not sure what's the difference.)

I can't remember and it depends on what you have and concentration. Does it say on your bottle?

Cut them immediately above the bleac line! If you don't they will die no matter what you do. If you've never propogated don't sweat it. Just be quick and careful and glue and replace as quickly as possible. You will NOT stop that recession/bleaching. Good luck

I've stopped RTN with Iodine before without cutting on a green slimer. I would cut them though.

An iodine dip can stop STN not sure about RTN. The thing is Alk spikes usually effect the tips not the bases. I would look for pests. AEFW maybe. Just to be sure.

Good point about alk spikes usually causing tip bleaching. Check for pests and dip if necessary. Be prepared to frag if recession continues. I have stopped recession with iodine dips before.

The dosage for povidone iodine 10% for acros is 3ml/l. Dip 'em for 25 minutes.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have removed my Bali slimer & fragged it just above the receding area. I have also glued it back to the original spot. We'll see how it does!!

I haven't done anything with the Chalice yet. I am going to keep a close eye on it over the next 2-3 days & if it worsens, I will do the same for that too.

Reef bass- I don't think I have any pests as I haven't added anything new to the tank in months, except for Zoas. I have been having some issues with them though. I haven't figured out that one yet! Are their pests that can cause issues with both Zoas & Acros?

Also, I still don't understand the Iodine dip. These are the two products I have.

*Kent Marine Concentrated Iodine
*Reef Pure Concentrated Iodide Supplement

Which product should I use for doing the Iodine dip? Also, who much Iodine to Water ratio?

Ron

I haven't encountered combo acro / zoanthid pests (yet).

Nor have I used either of the products you mention. Iodine is available in several forms (iodine, iodide, iodate). For doing iodine dips, I've always used povidone iodine 10% (get it at the drugstore or supermarket) at the 3ml / liter concentration for sps.

Some info on iodine here

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15452129#post15452129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Bass
I haven't encountered combo acro / zoanthid pests (yet).

Nor have I used either of the products you mention. Iodine is available in several forms (iodine, iodide, iodate). For doing iodine dips, I've always used povidone iodine 10% (get it at the drugstore or supermarket) at the 3ml / liter concentration for sps.

Some info on iodine here

Great, thank you! How much of this povidone iodine 10% do you mix with the tank water?

The spike more than likely caused it, then the change back compounds it triggering this.

I have been able to resolve the problem in the past, and some pieces will stop thier retreat, others are more sensitive and will slowly march up, more stubborn ones fillet in days. All depends on the piece in question.

One thought is that dipping them can further stress them, compounding things more and putting that final nail in the coffin.

I would frag the fastest ones, watch the rest and make a decision if they don't stop.

I typically use a large margarine tub (empty, of course), add 500ml (1/2 liter) of reef water and 1.5 mls of povidone iodine (1/2 of the recommended 3mls / l 'cuz I had 1/2 liter of reef water).

Are you sure you did not over-correct and now your alk is crashing? I have only seen base up RTN from an alk drop - not an alk spike.

Judging by the look of your chalice this also leads me to believe an alk drop is the cause.

What is your alk, calcium, and magnesium at right now? Definitely establish this before sawing off limbs!

I have found that correcting low alkalinity will almost immediately reverse tissue loss in normally healthy corals.

Back