SPS Killer??? HELP!!!

josee1013

trying my best at this...
For the past 3 months we have been loosing our SPS and some LPS one by one...
we though it was due to not enought circulation, too much nitrates, too cold, too hot, lights behing old...blablabla...
we are really pulling our hair out and becoming really upset with the situation... (DH even thinks to go back to soft water!!!)

but today I had a flash...

could our copperband butterfly just turn psycho and kill our SPS and LPS, gently and softly without us seing it???

from day one it always eat frozen mysis and is really healthy... could it have devellop a taste for corals???

I did not see it pick on corals.. well sometimes I saw it nip at the "tentacules" of a feeding scolymia... but I just tought that it was trying to nip particule of food...

I really like the little guy... :sad2:
need your help!!!! :worried:

If you have tried everything else, and your trace elements test where they should be (CA, KH, MG esp), the only reason you would be losing stuff is because something is eating them or stressing them to death. Sit in front of your tank for a while and see if you can catch your copperband nipping at anything. Sometimes they will go for coral...

CA 450
KH 12
MG 1200
Nitrates 15-25 (going down slowly)

We will keep an eye open on the little copperband.. :(

Well, the nitrates are pretty high. I would guess that the high nitrates are stressing out the corals and if the butterfly is picking, is finishing them off. My pearlscale butterfly is picking on our corals, which is keeping the polyp extension short. But it is not killing the corals, just irritating them. Watch temperature too...The heat really got to my SPS this summer.

Back