Sps newb

gareth.hubbarde

Sorry but I have 2 sps corals in my tank for 1st time, how do I know they are ok? The birds nest was given to me white apparently the owner couldn't find a good spot. The polyps are open every day though. The monitpora I have no clue about tbh. How do I know it likes the tank and us doing well. Lps which I'm used to open and spread.
3f676087313e31b9447aab3877759714.jpg
b0ed291548f66a1872338f7259aa4c7a.jpg
0f18e2f28c358f5f69bd47ffd5b5e9b3.jpg
4d7e00863899daddd9dd6d1c74674565.jpg
a8d49b57a57df3949c9f4cc227a9b55d.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Sps newb

Sps you have aren't that difficult, you just need to make sure your light can support those and that you have enough no3 and PO4 to support them. They should recover in about a month. I can tel you from the photo, your light fixture looks insufficient.

1. Ca 400-500
2. Alk 7-8 (the easiest range to keep them growing and not burning the tips in case your nutrients drop too low)
3. Light you can get away with using Chinese black box led but the par should be around 200+ (you can borrow a par meter from your LFS) for you specifically looks like you might need a new light fixture unless you're running just the white channel to take a picture.
4. Flow, you need a lot of random flow for the sps, you want the polyps moving around. ( a few wavemakers will do the job, jebao OW are the cheapest)
5. You need to feed your fish, so your corals have constant supply of food. As a newbie it is Super important to keep your NO 3 detectable I would aim for 10- 20, and your PO4 around .03-.08. (Don't overlook those. Some advanced reefers run those at 0 but for you it's safer to keep those up.
6. Make sure your RODI unit is perfect, and you get 0 tds water.
7. Temperature 77-83 as long as it does not fluctuate fast, but that shouldn't be an issue.
8. Ph no less than 7.8 or you'll run into trouble.
9. Probably obvious for any coral but you need to dip. Revive is good for hardier sps but if you will ever venture further than the birds nest and a Monti cap you would want to have bayer and melafix on hand.

Sps you have aren't that difficult, you just need to make sure your light can support those and that you have enough no3 and PO4 to support them. They should recover in about a month. I can tel you from the photo, your light fixture looks insufficient.

1. Ca 400-500
2. Alk 7-8 (the easiest range to keep them growing and not burning the tips in case your nutrients drop too low)
3. Light you can get away with using Chinese black box led but the par should be around 200+ (you can borrow a par meter from your LFS) for you specifically looks like you might need a new light fixture unless you're running just the white channel to take a picture.
4. Flow, you need a lot of random flow for the sps, you want the polyps moving around. ( a few wavemakers will do the job, jebao OW are the cheapest)
5. You need to feed your fish, so your corals have constant supply of food. As a newbie it is Super important to keep your NO 3 detectable I would aim for 10- 20, and your PO4 around .03-.08. (Don't overlook those. Some advanced reefers run those at 0 but for you it's safer to keep those up.
6. Make sure your RODI unit is perfect, and you get 0 tds water.
7. Temperature 77-83 as long as it does not fluctuate fast, but that shouldn't be an issue.
8. Ph no less than 7.8 or you'll run into trouble.
9. Probably obvious for any coral but you need to dip. Revive is good for hardier sps but if you will ever venture further than the birds nest and a Monti cap you would want to have bayer and melafix on hand.
Lights I have are 4 t5 54w bulbs. 2 blue, 1 white and 1 50/50. The blues are on from 9am until 1900, the white and 50/50 from 11am until 1700.

Alk 8.0
No3 around 20ppm
Po 0.5ppm
Temp is set at 24 c but currently at 26 due to warm weather.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Back