Sps recovery

foneman02

Can anyone tell me if an Sps piece will recover after tank levels got out of wack. I guess I got lazy with testing and water changes and things started looking bad. I had a few pieces of pocilipora die off and birdsnest starting to turn brown. Also a stylo stopped extending its polyps. I finally got the tank back under control. Thru 2 large water changes on a 120. 2 50 gal changes one week apart.Birdsnest colored back up. Added a frag of pocilipora doing good. The only piece not extending is the stylo. Also using GFO and Phos-ex to lower phosphates. Don't want to lose stylo. All levels good for 3 days now.

Nitrate 9
Phosphate 0.05
Mag 1250
Cal 450
Salinity 1.025
Temp 76
Alk 8.9

Yes, it is possible for the styo to recover. You'll likely need to keep the water chemistry at the proper levels for more than 3 days though. ;)

Thanks for replying. It’s a great looking piece and don’t want to lose it. It has 23 heads and barely hanging in there. Unfortunately I don’t have a quarantine tank so my only other option would be to place it in my lfs tank if they would even consider holding it for me. Thanks for your answer.

If anyone is wondering, tank parameters at good levels again in my 3rd week. Stylo has come back strong . All potions that turned white have new polyps again . Birdsnest turning back to green- yellow and everything else in tank looking great again. Water chemistry more important than anything else. Don’t get lazy like me.

Back